Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Survival Rifle?

Feedback Score

Best Survival Rifle?

Howdy!

I live full time in RV and travel way too much to states with harsh AR laws. Problem is I put EVERYTHING at risk if I get get caught somehow.

I'm considering trading DDM4 for a scout or cool lever action cowboy rifle. I had a very sweet Marlin years ago, a JM, I wish was still around....

Even if I keep and stash the AR and mags I'd like to have a cowboy I can have at hand. For instance I want to boondock in CA and meet friends. I'll be alone for a few days with probably a ranger swinging by so don't want the AR out BUT I could have a cowboy right there ready to go with no problems.

Bolt action Scout's obviously don't have the semi-auto quickness but have other advantages.

Bolt or lever off the LEO radar for the most part so I'd be safe....

Intrigued with the Christensen Arms Ridgeline Scout...

Thanks!
    Last edited by Whalstib; 02-11-24 at 09:46.

Feedback Score
    I don’t know about the “best” but I have a Marlin 1894 .357. Muzzle velocity exceeds 2000fps with 125gr.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Winchester m92 is a Classic lever gun in pistol caliber cartridges, think smaller frame m 86.
    Thinking along the lines you lay out I’d consider a Rossi reproduction. They offer classic m92 or an “updated” version with plastic stock and Picatinny rail you could mount a Red Dot on.
    And yeah, .357 is the route I’d go. A 180 gr. WFNGC has some horsepower.

https://rossiusa.com/rifles/lever-action-rifles
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    I don’t know about the “best” but I have a Marlin 1894 .357. Muzzle velocity exceeds 2000fps with 125gr.

I was playing with a current Marlin...maybe 2 years ago now and the action was stiff and the lever would jam if not pulled directly back. Any side motion and it would jam....

I had a JM model years ago that was super cool! But the octagon barrel .357 was always on my radar!

The thing is I can work on ARs but not so much on bolts and levers so I want to go high end low maintenance...."buy the best and cry once" approach!

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    We RV in CA often, as we have family behind the Iron Curtain. I usually have an old Marlin 336C in .30-30 aboard. It's a pretty non- threatening option, as most people see it as a relatively benign old cowboy gun. I'm not sure, but I think you can pass through with something legal in your state of origin, although you might run into the wrong copper these days. I can see where you could get jammed up on "passing through." I prefer to not push my luck.

Feedback Score
    Yeah another vote for a .357 lever gun. Rossi has both a 16" and a 20" version, or you can pony-up $1300 for the new Marlin. Get a spicey 158gr SJHP like Underwood loads and you'll be hitting 1750-1900fps (depending on barrel length). That round at those velocities would be devastating.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The Winchester m92 is a Classic lever gun in pistol caliber cartridges, think smaller frame m 86.
    Thinking along the lines you lay out I’d consider a Rossi reproduction. They offer classic m92 or an “updated” version with plastic stock and Picatinny rail you could mount a Red Dot on.
    And yeah, .357 is the route I’d go. A 180 gr. WFNGC has some horsepower.

https://rossiusa.com/rifles/lever-action-rifles
    Yeah, I think 357Mag is the way to go. Either the R92 or a Big Box X if you manage to find one, but they're kind of unobtanium. R92 seem to be decently available, though. Probably not as nice as the Henry, but they seem pretty solid. I got to screw around with a 16" R92 in 45 Colt the other day and it was pretty sweet. Light, handy, powerful. Perfect "Truck Gun"

Now, all that being said, I don't bother traveling with a firearm anymore. Too many ways for shit to go wrong and end up in jail somewhere over some bullshit law I didn't understand or some gung-ho cop I had the misfortune to bump into.

Feedback Score
    I’m going to pick this rifle up from Grabagun next week.

https://grabagun.com/rossi-r92-carbi...10-rounds.html

I’ll give a report when I get it to the range. I can’t think of a better rifle for the OP’s purpose.

Stay safe

Heavyweight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post
    I was playing with a current Marlin...maybe 2 years ago now and the action was stiff and the lever would jam if not pulled directly back. Any side motion and it would jam....

I had a JM model years ago that was super cool! But the octagon barrel .357 was always on my radar!

The thing is I can work on ARs but not so much on bolts and levers so I want to go high end low maintenance...."buy the best and cry once" approach!

Thanks!
    Interesting. My 1894 was purchased new in 2019. The action has been 100% reliable (never shot 38s) and is relatively smooth which irritates an acquaintance at the club with a Henry .357 that isn't. The action on my old JM 30-30 is decent.

If you're looking for something easy stow in your RV, prefer an octagon barrel, and want to err on the side of quality... you might consider the Winchester 1892 Deluxe Trapper Takedown .357.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another vote for a Marlin in 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum or 30-30. Caliber would be your choice, and depending on that decision, you could match it to a revolver in the same caliber.
    In addition to the lever rifle, if I were you, I would also keep a 12ga pump shotgun in the RV. A second option for self defense, as well as for birds and animals big or small.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast