Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Survival Rifle?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Outstanding ideal for sure! I have a Henry 357 full size, not the carbine, it's the newer model with the side loading gate, man what a great rifle! I wanted the Henry for a while so that's what I bought, action is smooth, and the trigger is great. I see the Rossi and it looks like a great rifle also @ a lower price. My Henry will hold 11 357 with one in the chamber and 12 38 specials with one in also, that's pretty badass. I see S&W has come out with a lever action also, it's in 44mag and others but not 357 at the moment, MSRP is around $1200+ but good luck on that if it was your choice.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I love my 41 mag Henry lever gun carbine, and use it for deer hunting lately just for fun.

But if I had to have just one it would be something like a Tikka or Ruger American in 308 or 223. Low power variable scope. Have the option to use AR type mags but can also have it look just like a plain hunting rifle.

The issue with lever actions is they do not have the camming action that a bolt gun does and are a lot pickier with reloaded, corroded, dented ammo.

Likewise if they jam it's very difficult to get it to unjam in the field. I've had multiple friends that have had lever guns jam when hunting and they were out of business till they could get home.

308 or 223 for ammo availability. I love 357 and reload for it, but it is very expensive over the counter and quite often hard to find at times. Then again I shoot 41 mag in the Henry and a Blackhawk, but I know it's a reloading game and have that pretty streamlined.

With the 41 carbine I limit my shots to 100 yds. So I use a small receiver mounted red dot. 41 is flatter shooting than the 44, and has more steam than the 357. But all of them are pistol cartridges which are effective at short range but you're going to be at a disadvantage at 50 yards and beyond.

That may not be an issue for you and if you want a rock a cowboy 357 you'd be doing it with style :-)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I love my 41 mag Henry lever gun carbine, and use it for deer hunting lately just for fun.

But if I had to have just one it would be something like a Tikka or Ruger American in 308 or 223. Low power variable scope. Have the option to use AR type mags but can also have it look just like a plain hunting rifle.

The issue with lever actions is they do not have the camming action that a bolt gun does and are a lot pickier with reloaded, corroded, dented ammo.

Likewise if they jam it's very difficult to get it to unjam in the field. I've had multiple friends that have had lever guns jam when hunting and they were out of business till they could get home.

308 or 223 for ammo availability. I love 357 and reload for it, but it is very expensive over the counter and quite often hard to find at times. Then again I shoot 41 mag in the Henry and a Blackhawk, but I know it's a reloading game and have that pretty streamlined.

With the 41 carbine I limit my shots to 100 yds. So I use a small receiver mounted red dot. 41 is flatter shooting than the 44, and has more steam than the 357. But all of them are pistol cartridges which are effective at short range but you're going to be at a disadvantage at 50 yards and beyond.

That may not be an issue for you and if you want a rock a cowboy 357 you'd be doing it with style :-)
    I'd say that with a .357 out of a 16" or 20" barrel you'd be good to 100yds.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lever in .30-30. I have a Henry now in .45-70 (and an old m94 Win in .30-30). I compared the Marlins vs Henry before I pulled the trigger (pun intended) and the Henry was just a higher quality product. But I don't think you can go wrong with either. The .30-30 has more punch and range than anything pistol caliber and kick from the 30 is quite mild. Most of the new levers have the ability to mount red dots or scopes.
    If you can find an old Savage model 99 in .300 Savage in good shape, I think that's also a good choice. (Another rifle I have, but have retired)

Feedback Score
    If you can find one at decent price, IMI Timberwolf carbine in .357 or .44 magnum. Semi autos, M1 carbine, Ruger Mini-14, Mini-30.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I’d highly recommend a Rossi .357 lever 92 with a cowboy action job. Mine was from a smith on gunbroker who offered the job as an option. Lever is one finger and trigger very nice. Unfortunately I’ve lost the guy’s name. Was in AZ IIRC.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    Kel tec rifle?

Feedback Score
    No experience with them but those new M&P foldable carbines look pretty darn good

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/fpc
    I tried to follow the science but it simply was not there. I then followed the money, thats where i found the science.

Feedback Score
    In this situation I would try something like a strait pull bolt gun in .308.

So Blaser R8 if you’re bucks up, or the “new” Beretta BRX1 if you don’t have $5K to dump into a rifle.

Both are strait pull bolt guns so you get excellent primary extraction of a bolt action. They’re both chambered for real rifle cartridges. They’re both faster to cycle than a conventional bolt gun. They both have excellent safeties that render them inert when safed by de-cocking the striker (Blaser) or the hammer (Beretta). They’re both ambidextrous if needed. They can both switch barrels to different calibers etc.

Beretta developed and tested the BRX1 to NATO acceptance standards. The rifle has developed a following in Europe the last couple of years.

So I would probably go BRX1 in .308, and maybe have the stock 20” bbl trimmed down to 16”-17” and re-threaded. Then find a good red dot or LPVO to mount on it. Get a couple of spare 5 round magazines, a sling, and maybe figure out a way to mount a scout light.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/product/brx1-black-FA0112

Beretta already has a tactical prototype running SR-25 mags.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 02-11-24 at 19:44.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pump shotguns are legal pretty much everywhere. A 12ga is extremely versatile from self defense to hunting birds to big game. Barrels are easy to swap.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast