Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Survival Rifle?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I'd say that with a .357 out of a 16" or 20" barrel you'd be good to 100yds.
    Looks like with the 140 XTP out of a 16 you can be plus or minus 2 in out to 125 yards so I would agree.

Energy at that range is still double the muzzle energy of a 9 mm pistol so there is that.

I would really read up on anything other than the Henry's if you're looking new. There's a lot of reports of problems with recent Rossi's such as plastic followers and MIM. I know the older ones can be quite good values.

I love savage 99s, but they can also be finicky and are also getting expensive.

I guess our definition of survival rifle varies... You could do worse but it wouldn't be my first pick. As much fun as they are.

Feedback Score
    I love my Henry Big Boy in .44 Mag, and agree something like that would be a good choice. I run a red dot on mine and it's a slick setup with almost no recoil.

I also think a good semi auto shotgun isn't a bad idea for your application, and you can get some distance with good slugs if needed. Something like a 1301 Tactical or A300 Patrol would fit the bill nicely, and give you semi-auto capability, and shotguns seem widely accepted in most places.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I could be mistaken, but I think the M1A still goes well in this scenario. IIRC, without the pistol grip, it can go most places legally. It has 5 and 10 round mags available, pretty easy to mount an optic or red dot, and reasonably reliable when maintained. Assuming I'm not wrong on the legality issue, this would be my pick for your needs.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I think the M1A still goes well in this scenario. IIRC, without the pistol grip, it can go most places legally. It has 5 and 10 round mags available, pretty easy to mount an optic or red dot, and reasonably reliable when maintained. Assuming I'm not wrong on the legality issue, this would be my pick for your needs.
    As long as it has a traditional stock, no bayonet lug or flash suppressor.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My California friendly pair are a Henry big boy steel in .357 and a cmp garand in .308. Both sporting H2 aimpoints.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Pump shotguns are legal pretty much everywhere. A 12ga is extremely versatile from self defense to hunting birds to big game. Barrels are easy to swap.

If caring about the optics of your choice in self defense this is the answere. Truth is any firearm used in self defense in Cali will no doubt be life changing.
    I tried to follow the science but it simply was not there. I then followed the money, thats where i found the science.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbiggun42 View Post
    If caring about the optics of your choice in self defense this is the answere. Truth is any firearm used in self defense in Cali will no doubt be life changing.
    I'd think it would depend on where it happens. In any of the rural conservative counties, providing its a good shoot, chances are you'd be OK. In any of the commie counties, not so much.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    I’d highly recommend a Rossi .357 lever 92 with a cowboy action job. Mine was from a smith on gunbroker who offered the job as an option. Lever is one finger and trigger very nice. Unfortunately I’ve lost the guy’s name. Was in AZ IIRC.
    This or a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Not because of "power" but because the '94 was designed for that cartridge length. The pistol caliber lever guns hold more ammunition, a pretty significant advantage, and the 357 and 44 magnums effective range is well past legally defensible for a private citizen.

I love my Marlins but the Winchester rifles' open receiver top makes clearing a rare malfunction much easier.

Andy

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'd recommend a .44 or .45Colt over a .357 if you're playing with lever actions. Bigger bullets, similar velocities.

Yes, a bit pricier.

Or a Garand.
    Last edited by Caduceus; 02-14-24 at 20:12.

Feedback Score
    My Winchester 94AE .30-30 Trapper (16” bbl) is sure a handy little carbine. Only holds 4+1 but it’s not that hard to reload.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast