Thread: Dismayed by revolver quality generally, with very few exceptions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Dismayed by revolver quality generally, with very few exceptions

I've had several Rugers.

Redhawk - .44 mag. light strikes with factory hammer spring. Terrible DA.

GP100's - .357, .44 spl. Terrible DA, ever after use and reduced springs. Tight forcing cones in cylinder have to be opened up properly for non-jacketed bullet accuracy.

S&W's - Various. Broken pin in Airweight .22, older K frames stop turning after under 100 rds of lead, mainspring screws come loose, light strikes. Got a new 686 in '23. Mainspring came loose though screw was tight, hammer / stirrup / spring latest design not reliable and just to save production cost. This one also gummed up in under 100 rds of lead.

Colt - I've got a '22? King Cobra and really like it! But it's probably only a matter of time before I get a lock up or the hammer breaks. Many stories of these. If they had a great rep I'd have a 2nd KC and an Anaconda 4 in. But I see trouble stories with those, too. (Lock ups, not turning)

Taurus / Charter - Have had several. No more. Had problems or it wore out quickly.

The revolvers I've had best luck with are 5 Ruger LCR's. I sold one because it had a hammer spur and I didn't care for that. But all have worked great.

I did wear out one .357. It stretched and the cylinder popped open. Being it was 4 yrs old Ruger wanted me to pay to send it in and they might charge me to fix it. Sold it to a relative with disclosure. He collects, doesn't shoot much.

I've hear of LCR's breaking return springs and I'd like to replace mine before they break or at least have a spare. My two .327's have been great.

Why can't I have a revolver with a nice DA, won't "gum up" quickly, and doesn't have a history of breaking or locking up?

Anyway, IME of 30+ years firing revolvers the Ruger LCR has been the most reliable and durable with a good DA.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-15-24 at 14:49.