Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dismayed by revolver quality generally, with very few exceptions

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I just bought a new S&W 627 4inch bbl.I always wanted this model, only been out 1 time with it and maybe put 60/70 rds through it, it ran fine but yea it got dirty fast. I was shooting warm 38spl and some 357 loads, all my reloads, while warm all the brass dropped right out. I'll keep tabs and report back as shooting season heats up.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to trade a relative for a like-new GP100 he acquired and never fired.

Will see how it shoots then see what I can do with the trigger.

Pretty sure it's just a 6-shooter, not the 7. Not ever sure what barrel it has. Will find out when I visit in a couple weeks.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'm going to trade a relative for a like-new GP100 he acquired and never fired.

Will see how it shoots then see what I can do with the trigger.

Pretty sure it's just a 6-shooter, not the 7. Not ever sure what barrel it has. Will find out when I visit in a couple weeks.
    Will be interested in your findings for sure. I had a GP100 6inch blued years ago and ended up trading it for a M&P in 40 LOL,what was I thinking! Anyway I bought it NIB and had it several years,I shot it a fair amount but never really abused it and it always seemed fine. Trigger was OK,but I remember sitting around and just dry firing it forever and it seemed to help.Keep us posted on how she runs.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If you want a revolver you can beat like a rented mule, you'll probably need a Ruger. I'm saying this as somebody with 80+ revolvers, and I have shot a couple out of time.

About 15 years ago, I wanted to get better with my G19 carry gun. So I got a fairly new Smith 686-5, and shot it in classes. I would be that weird guy with a belt full of speedloaders at the end of the line, and everyone else shooting Glock 19's and 17's. These were two-day classes where we would shoot 700-1000 rounds. I put 13,000 rounds through that pistol in 9 months, all double-action.

S&W sent me a call tag when I explained what I had done, as they wanted to see it. They kept it for a month, and rebuilt it. It runs like a champ again.

My new "forvever" gun is a 3" GP-100 in .38 Special. It runs likes a scalded dog, and has a great trigger courtesy of a friend.

And that advice served me well. If you want to get good with a striker-fired gun, shoot a DA revolver for a year. Wayne Dobbs taught me that, and it worked well for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    .....If you want to get good with a striker-fired gun, shoot a DA revolver for a year. Wayne Dobbs taught me that, and it worked well for me.
    Sound advice.
    Doing that will train your hand muscles better trigger control. The (much) reduced capacity will also force you concentrate on good technique.

Feedback Score
    If you want a revolver you can beat like a rented mule, you'll probably need a Ruger. I'm saying this as somebody with 80+ revolvers, and I have shot a couple out of time.

About 15 years ago, I wanted to get better with my G19 carry gun. So I got a fairly new Smith 686-5, and shot it in classes. I would be that weird guy with a belt full of speedloaders at the end of the line, and everyone else shooting Glock 19's and 17's. These were two-day classes where we would shoot 700-1000 rounds. I put 13,000 rounds through that pistol in 9 months, all double-action.

S&W sent me a call tag when I explained what I had done, as they wanted to see it. They kept it for a month, and rebuilt it. It runs like a champ again.

My new "forvever" gun is a 3" GP-100 in .38 Special. It runs likes a scalded dog, and has a great trigger courtesy of a friend.

And that advice served me well. If you want to get good with a striker-fired gun, shoot a DA revolver for a year. Wayne Dobbs taught me that, and it worked well for me.
    Thanks for the advice!

My carry guns are all DA...at least the first shot.

A Ruger GP100 needs trigger-smoothing for sure.

I've found a similar phenomenon with pistol optics: Shooting / training with an optic on a pistol has made me better with irons. Only I haven't been carrying an optic.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    If you want a revolver you can beat like a rented mule, you'll probably need a Ruger.My new "forever" gun is a 3" GP-100 in .38 Special.
    Your thoughts intrigued me so I went and looked for this revolver and didn't really find it? I wonder if I'm not looking in the right spot or if that particular model is no longer offered. I was looking on the Ruger website,there is no GP 100 in 38 only 357,there might be a 101 in 38 but I didn't see the GP 100. I'll look on GB and other spots also,if ya find a link or info send it along,thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Your thoughts intrigued me so I went and looked for this revolver and didn't really find it? I wonder if I'm not looking in the right spot or if that particular model is no longer offered. I was looking on the Ruger website,there is no GP 100 in 38 only 357,there might be a 101 in 38 but I didn't see the GP 100. I'll look on GB and other spots also,if ya find a link or info send it along,thanks.

They do exist, although I haven't seen one personally.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Get the GP in 357. Feed it 38 Spl. in copious amounts.

I'm not sure I'd spend anything on an SP-101. The one I tried had an abominable double action trigger.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Get the GP in 357. Feed it 38 Spl. in copious amounts.

I'm not sure I'd spend anything on an SP-101. The one I tried had an abominable double-action trigger.
    I hear you, I was looking at them online, and they don't seem as "robust" as the GP100, so I would pass on the 101. A Local shop has a GP100 with a 4.2 BBL but I think I want the 3-incher mentioned above, cooler, more compact, etc. My new 627 is a 4 and while it's badass I think the 3-inch will be nicer in this smaller package. Time to figure out what I can sell so I can grab one, LOL.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast