Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Dismayed by revolver quality generally, with very few exceptions

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    13,176
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post


    During the 80s I was doing a lot of combat magnum stuff because .38s were pretty cheap and range reloads were next to nothing.

    I remember in the late 80s buying a 1,000 round case of reloaded .38 wadcutters for $80. I never had an issue with that ammo, and can't remember how many cases I went through.

    Of course back then I thought that was a lot of money and that I was probably getting shafted on the price..
    Stick


    Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

    I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...


    Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC.
    Posts
    6,312
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    My 442 has a crooked front sight.
    My Redhawk was properly made, just not what I “need”. I chose it for its cartridge, because I was already competing in CAS with that at the time and thought it’d be fun to load hotter. That was quite a while back. The Kimber revolvers I’ve shot have been top-notch, but I don’t think I can buy a RDS mount for one.

    I got a 4” GP100 when I got back this summer. No real complaints. Rear sight required a lot of adjustment to hit a 3” circle at 25yds, but that got snatched off for a red dot anyway. The trigger’s heavy, but smooth enough. I don’t think I’ll mess with it until there’s a mechanical need to take it apart. I’ve put enough real, no shit, .357 through it at this point that flame cutting on the top strap is obvious, and everything still seems to be tight and functioning properly. I’ve shot about as much light-medium powered ammo through it, as well, all the way down to mild .38 wads.

    From this sample of one, I think I like the GP100 a lot. JM Custom made me a RDS holster for it.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    My 442 has a crooked front sight.
    My Redhawk was properly made, just not what I “need”. I chose it for its cartridge, because I was already competing in CAS with that at the time and thought it’d be fun to load hotter. That was quite a while back. The Kimber revolvers I’ve shot have been top-notch, but I don’t think I can buy a RDS mount for one.

    I got a 4” GP100 when I got back this summer. No real complaints. Rear sight required a lot of adjustment to hit a 3” circle at 25yds, but that got snatched off for a red dot anyway. The trigger’s heavy, but smooth enough. I don’t think I’ll mess with it until there’s a mechanical need to take it apart. I’ve put enough real, no shit, .357 through it at this point that flame cutting on the top strap is obvious, and everything still seems to be tight and functioning properly. I’ve shot about as much light-medium powered ammo through it, as well, all the way down to mild .38 wads.

    From this sample of one, I think I like the GP100 a lot. JM Custom made me a RDS holster for it.
    Thanks.

    My relative was going to trade a GP100 to me, but couldn't find it. I was helping him look. He has alot of guns.

    So I went shopping for one but haven't decided on one. 2.5 in, 3 in, 4.2 in, Match Champion, 6 shot or 7 shot, etc. Lots of choices.

    I even considered an SP101 but some 180+ gr bullets won't fit and the gun is lighter than my King Cobra. Too light.

    The King Cobra 3 in, being between GP and SP, is a great size / weight for handling and carrying concealed. I'll shoot mine until it breaks.

    I also considered getting a 10 mm GP100 to shoot .40 from. TKCustom makes clips just for this, plus loaders & unloaders. But we're talking $950 to get the gun, plus $180 for moon clips & clip tools.

    I'm not willing to spend that on a gun that's too big to CC long.

    I'm anticipating my relative finding his GP100. I think it's a 6 shot 4.2 inch.
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-07-24 at 14:39.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,401
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Revolver quality…..

    My 2020 Python was a train wreck….
    The crown was messed up
    The trigger had milling marks all the way down one side and didn’t look symmetrical
    The top of the barrel had dings in it
    The cylinder had scratches on it
    Where the crane meets the frame it has nasty marks that I can’t even tell what happened there.
    It went back to Colt and when it came back all the issues were resolved minus the punch marks between the crane and frame.
    Edit: And the damn geometry on the crane to stocks is off so my speed loaders from my original Python no longer work.

    No excuse for a $1500 pistol to look like that.

    The Anaconda came with the rear sight about to fall out and it was adjusted all the way you could possibly adjust it to the right side. Cosmetically, I think they got it right from learning on the Python issues.

    King Cobra target. No issues.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 03-07-24 at 19:44.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    1,558
    Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

    TKCustom makes clips just for this, plus loaders & unloaders. But we're talking $950 to get the gun, plus $180 for moon clips & clip tools.
    Well I went to the range again with my 627 S&W and all went well except I friggin HATE moon clips! Whats interesting so maybe take notice when you buy the clips,some are brass specific and TK makes a generic one I guess if you have mixed brass.Those are the ones I bought and lets just say I threw 2 of em into the weeds,LOL They were loose,brass would fall out,I ended up tweaking,bending some so not very happy with my experience. Was some of it ME,,probably but once the clip is tweaked its junk. I did buy in on the rd loader and empty brass tool and they work good,gotta be watchful with the loader cuz if the clip and brass aren't level,or lined up that's where you will have problems. These are the split clips: https://tkcustom.com/collections/627...on-clips-slits I have a couple S&W clips that came with the gun and while they are tough loading and unloading they seem to be holding up so far,if I buy more it more than likely will be this style. https://tkcustom.com/collections/627...wn627x8-025-ss
    I bought speed loaders from Speed Beez and was excited to use them,well with the standard cylinder release it gets in the way,LOL so for another $100 bucks I can get the extended release,its a bit higher and out of the way. Anyways with all my bitching out of the way the 627 shoots awesome and is very accurate so far & I like it a lot. I have shot some full house 357s and they sure bark but shoot well. I have some 38 Short Colt cases coming from Starline so those will be pipsqueak for sure but will be fun and should wear on the pistol much. Will update as I get more range time.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Well I went to the range again with my 627 S&W and all went well except I friggin HATE moon clips! Whats interesting so maybe take notice when you buy the clips,some are brass specific and TK makes a generic one I guess if you have mixed brass.Those are the ones I bought and lets just say I threw 2 of em into the weeds,LOL They were loose,brass would fall out,I ended up tweaking,bending some so not very happy with my experience. Was some of it ME,,probably but once the clip is tweaked its junk. I did buy in on the rd loader and empty brass tool and they work good,gotta be watchful with the loader cuz if the clip and brass aren't level,or lined up that's where you will have problems. These are the split clips: https://tkcustom.com/collections/627...on-clips-slits I have a couple S&W clips that came with the gun and while they are tough loading and unloading they seem to be holding up so far,if I buy more it more than likely will be this style. https://tkcustom.com/collections/627...wn627x8-025-ss
    I bought speed loaders from Speed Beez and was excited to use them,well with the standard cylinder release it gets in the way,LOL so for another $100 bucks I can get the extended release,its a bit higher and out of the way. Anyways with all my bitching out of the way the 627 shoots awesome and is very accurate so far & I like it a lot. I have shot some full house 357s and they sure bark but shoot well. I have some 38 Short Colt cases coming from Starline so those will be pipsqueak for sure but will be fun and should wear on the pistol much. Will update as I get more range time.
    The only time I tried moon clips was with a 627. I didn't care for the trigger and had some light strikes although the strain screw seemed tight. I got it used. This was also before I reloaded & knew about Federal primers. I didn't have any specialty tools for the clips.

    I use a Speedbeez with box for my LCR's. Work with .32 Long and the longer ones. Helps the wife fire 120 rds a range trip. (The box holds 10 loads of 6)

    It's definitely the easy button for reloading at the range.

    I've loaded .38 Colt Short, too. Fun.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Revolver quality…..

    My 2020 Python was a train wreck….
    The crown was messed up
    The trigger had milling marks all the way down one side and didn’t look symmetrical
    The top of the barrel had dings in it
    The cylinder had scratches on it
    Where the crane meets the frame it has nasty marks that I can’t even tell what happened there.
    It went back to Colt and when it came back all the issues were resolved minus the punch marks between the crane and frame.
    Edit: And the damn geometry on the crane to stocks is off so my speed loaders from my original Python no longer work.

    No excuse for a $1500 pistol to look like that.

    The Anaconda came with the rear sight about to fall out and it was adjusted all the way you could possibly adjust it to the right side. Cosmetically, I think they got it right from learning on the Python issues.

    King Cobra target. No issues.
    I was almost ready to buy an Anaconda when they came out as a 4 in. Checked reviews and review comments and saw lots of locking up problems. I'll hold off until they get a better rep.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    551
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Well I went to the range again with my 627 S&W and all went well except I friggin HATE moon clips! Whats interesting so maybe take notice when you buy the clips,some are brass specific and TK makes a generic one I guess if you have mixed brass.Those are the ones I bought and lets just say I threw 2 of em into the weeds,LOL They were loose,brass would fall out,I ended up tweaking,bending some so not very happy with my experience. Was some of it ME,,probably but once the clip is tweaked its junk. I did buy in on the rd loader and empty brass tool and they work good,gotta be watchful with the loader cuz if the clip and brass aren't level,or lined up that's where you will have problems. These are the split clips: https://tkcustom.com/collections/627...on-clips-slits I have a couple S&W clips that came with the gun and while they are tough loading and unloading they seem to be holding up so far,if I buy more it more than likely will be this style. https://tkcustom.com/collections/627...wn627x8-025-ss
    Welcome to the adventure of trying to pair 38spl or 357mag with moon clips.

    Unfortunately the little groove in the 38spl case is not a standardized feature like an extractor groove is for autoloaders.

    Manufacturers (usually) put that groove in a 38 to assure that the cartridge headspaces properly. If an ammo maker puts a groove in their 38 brass, how wide they make the groove and how deep they make the groove is slightly different from one company to the next.

    Fortunately the .025" thick clips I have from TK Custom or from RevolverSupply work nearly all the time with a lot of different brands of brass.

    Here is what works and what doesn't:
    Aguila: Yes
    Armscorp (A USA): No, groove is too shallow
    Blazer (aluminum): No groove
    Blazer (brass): Sometimes. Check before you buy Batches of this brass do not have a groove; perhaps made on the machinery they use to make aluminum shells.
    Federal: Yes, occasionally I find some that do not accept clips.
    Fiocchi: Yes
    Geco: Yes
    Herters: Frequently these do not fit.
    Hornady (brass): Yes
    Hornady (nickle): No Groove is too shallow
    IMI: No. Groove is too shallow
    Lake City (LC): Yes
    Magtech (CBC): Yes, some of this brass has a generous groove width and the rounds wobble
    Perfecta: Yes
    PMC: Yes Brass shells work, less confident about nickle
    Privi (PPU): Yes
    Remington (R-P): Yes. Preferred brass for use with clips. I have found older brass where the groove is too narrow
    Sellier & Bellot (new): Sometimes the groove is too shallow, otherwise the brass fit tightly
    Sellier & Bellot (old): Yes, close fitting.
    SIG: Yes
    SPEER: Usually Yes...but you have to check before you buy. Batches of this brass do not have a groove, like the grooveless Blazer
    SPEER DWM: No. Groove is too narrow
    Starline: Yes, but the groove width is wide and the rounds wobble quite a bit.
    ......Note that TK makes special thickness clips for use with Starline brass (I don't own any of those)
    Winchester(new): I think Winchester is making the groove wider than they used to.
    Winchester (old): No. The groove is too narrow to accept a 0.025" clip.


    The split moonclips may be an OK idea for 6-shot cylinders but I think they weaken the clips too much for 7 and 8 shot guns.

    Always use the tool for removing the brass from the clips. It is too easy to torque them out of shape otherwise. Once bent, they are never quite right even if you manage to iron them 'flat' again.

    If you will shoot it much, I would recommend finding a Plano box to accompany your 627. Pick a size to suit your needs. The one I use (approx 10-3/4 x 7 x 1-5/8") holds about 20 loaded moon clips plus a small parts kit with spare moon clips and a sight adjuster.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    1,558
    Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Awesome info Wildcat,thank you so much! I guess its time to do a little brass sorting,LOL And yea the "split" clips were the problem,the factory S&W ones held strong,and yes I have both the loader and brass remover tool from TK,they work good.
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 03-08-24 at 09:12.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,162
    Feedback Score
    0
    Man, sure reading of so many Colt King Cobras breaking hammers. And trigger return springs and transfer bars. And a couple firing pins. All with low miles. Then getting the gun back & the hammer breaks again.

    Mine is around 1300 rds roughly and it's been fine.

    Guys examine the insides and say the parts are all chintzy. (Undersized)

    I was hunting for a GP100 but I recall how the 3" .44 round-butt I had was just on the side of "too big" to CC.

    I've decided to get an SP101. I've a couple before. They are very close to the size of my King Cobra and only weigh about an ounce less. Still in the sweet spot of easy practice & carry yet tames the .357 enough.

    I'll polish up the internals & lighten the hammer spring a little.

    Will get a 3". Preferably adjustable sights. A 6-shot .327 is tempting but I'm leaning to a .357 5-shot.
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-11-24 at 17:52.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •