Thread: Ammo choice for a carbine class

Feedback Score

Ammo choice for a carbine class

This is a combo training/ammo management question…looking for thoughts.

I’m taking my first Carbine class (3 days) in a month, and I’m a bit twisted on what ammo to bring. I have a hodgepodge of ammo from LC green tip to MEN 5.56 to Wolf Gold to Fiocci to PMC. I’ve also got a residual 300ish steel case Herters that actually shoots good.

And I’ve begun reloading .223 and have about 1K of good 75gr reloads that will be my primary use ammo going forward.

The class is broken down to the first day being an “intro” and the next two being a “Carbine 1” classes. I expect to fire 800-1000 rounds for the three days.

I’m taking this class because I really want to try one good class on weapon manipulation and management live. I’ve had several excellent handgun training classes and while some processes carry over, the skill building is in the details, and differences between handgun and long gun handling are quite different. Shooting little groups during drills is secondary to simple target acquisition- fire - failure/reload drills.

Anyway, my plan is to burn through the cheaper ammo in the first day and then during the sight in on second day (first day of second class), transition to a single flavor like Wolf Gold or PMC and run it through the class.

I also considered running my reloads just to give them a good run through, but they could skew the POI I set up with the other ammo.

I do plan on emailing the trainer for his thoughts as well. But again, want your thoughts on what you might do.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 03-09-24 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would use the best, most consistent ammo for the first day when zeroing, along as the rest of the ammo is similiar in weight. velocity etc... The lesser ammo I would use for the drills on the final days.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It really depends on the class curriculum. I mean, if your drills are at 10 yards, a few MOA off your zero are fractions of an inch. On the other hand, if it’s a “precision” carbine class, then accuracy obviously matters.

I use the cheapest reliable 55gr FMJ I have for “CQB” and home-defense type classes because stuck cases or popped primers will hold up the rest of the class and I try not to be that guy.

Feedback Score
    Some instructors/ facilities will not allow reloads due to liability and reliability.

Use up that steel case stuff quickly. I have seen plenty of malfunctions with that stuff esp when the barrel gets hot.
    At least you will be getting plenty of reps at clearing malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Good advice given above.

Most open enrollment carbine training classes are 100 yards and in.

I'd use the cheapest ammo you have that runs consistently. Steel case may screw you if melted lacquer causes case sticking and induces stoppages. Don't be that guy who constantly holds everyone up to un-screw your weapon.

Handloads using pricier or premium bullets aren't needed for close-range feedback.

I'd recommend just buying a 1,000 round case of 55-grain ammo that will give you good brass for future reloads -- Fed, Winchester, PMC, IMI, Wolf Gold, Prvi, etc. Avoid Fiocchi -- their primer flash holes look like they were hand-drilled by methed-out chimpanzees on a payday weekend Friday after 1500.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don’t be that guy. You paid for a course which others have also. Just get some good M193 and go enjoy, make friends and learn.

Feedback Score
    Message received…I have a case of PMC and a case of Wolf Gold…I’ll just pick one and roll with it.

Thanks for the advice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    Message received…I have a case of PMC and a case of Wolf Gold…I’ll just pick one and roll with it.

Thanks for the advice.

This is the best approach.
    Bring lube and basic maintenance tools... maybe a spare upper or rifle if you have one, just in case something happens.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    This is the best approach.
    Bring lube and basic maintenance tools... maybe a spare upper or rifle if you have one, just in case something happens.
    Thanks. I’m bringing a spare rifle and other stuff including cleaning and lube.