Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone military remember CEOI's?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hated it, it was a lot of extra work to do on the fly while Commanding a Tank.
    Then I remind myself that my Dad did it, then transfered it to morse code everytime they needed to send a message.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBL View Post
    Yes, I remember them. Used them quite a bit. You meant Vinson equipment right? Secure FM comms that predated SINCGARS. When I went through AIT at Gordon they even trained us on the old Nestor equipment even though it was being phased out.
    Yeah, that's it!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I hated it, it was a lot of extra work to do on the fly while Commanding a Tank.
    Then I remind myself that my Dad did it, then transfered it to morse code everytime they needed to send a message.
    Yeah but in Desert Storm weren't almost 1 in 5 of our casualties from "friendly fire" (biggest yet worst joke in the military vocabulary)? I guess it was important to do it lest you be on the wrong end of a "misunderstanding".
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    CEOIs were a common thing in Korea. I remember we were issued new ones on a regular basis (no old, dirty, dog-eared ones -- but then Korea was on a pretty rigid go-to-war posture most times where we were at Camp Greaves north of the Imjin River). Not only did it have callsigns, suffixes, and prefixes, you could also encrypt, decrypt, and authenticate by voice.

Once I got to Special Forces we also had the SAVSERSUP (Special Audio-Visual Service Supplement).

Vinson KY-57 had to be keyed with a separate device (in the years before over-the-air re-key). If it ever got zeroed your encryption was basically erased (like formatting a disk).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    CEOIs were a common thing in Korea. I remember we were issued new ones on a regular basis (no old, dirty, dog-eared ones -- but then Korea was on a pretty rigid go-to-war posture most times where we were at Camp Greaves north of the Imjin River). Not only did it have callsigns, suffixes, and prefixes, you could also encrypt, decrypt, and authenticate by voice.

Once I got to Special Forces we also had the SAVSERSUP (Special Audio-Visual Service Supplement).

Vinson KY-57 had to be keyed with a separate device (in the years before over-the-air re-key). If it ever got zeroed your encryption was basically erased (like formatting a disk).
    I have to be honest with you, at some point in the advancement of commo, I went on recruiting duty and came back to a whole new world of commo. I learned the basics and kept a cheat sheet, but damn I could barely keep up with the changes.
    By the time I had retired and was working for GD, a lot of data was being transfered via Force XXI communications. So I can call for fire, lase to the target and send all target data back to my Arty unit automatically.
    Eventually someone will mount a laser up there for missles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

Yeah I knew it was more than challenges/passwords and frequencies, but couldn't think of exactly what. Thanks. [to be fair I don't recall the encryption thing, but ours were the old-ass "dirty and dog-eared" ones!]
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBL View Post
    Yes, I remember them. Used them quite a bit. You meant Vinson equipment right? Secure FM comms that predated SINCGARS. When I went through AIT at Gordon they even trained us on the old Nestor equipment even though it was being phased out.
    Nope. These were booklets. It's been a long time but IIRC correctly there were challenge and authentication codes and after all that was done you told the station you were sending to 'I set 'Bravo Yankee' and then sent the read the encrypted message to them.

There were training/practice CEOI's which you could take to the field and I'm pretty sure back in the day something like 'Use CEOI to send grid coordinates' or something similar was part of the Skill Level 2 or 3 Common Tasks.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Nope. These were booklets. It's been a long time but IIRC correctly there were challenge and authentication codes and after all that was done you told the station you were sending to 'I set 'Bravo Yankee' and then sent the read the encrypted message to them.

There were training/practice CEOI's which you could take to the field and I'm pretty sure back in the day something like 'Use CEOI to send grid coordinates' or something similar was part of the Skill Level 2 or 3 Common Tasks.
    Yup !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just when I was feeling old you guys make me feel like a boot again. We used the CYZ-10(crazy-10) for SINCGARS exclusively when I was in. I never saw any booklet of the kind during my service time.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

Something like, "I set Alpha Romeo. I send Kilo."

Other stuff:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast