Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone military remember CEOI's?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Dang, I remember those, I knew it as "encode/decode" book. I recall the Lt. lost one, was found but at the time, knew it would most likely be the end if not found. This was 1987 in FRG.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I heard them called something else...SOI maybe? I can't recall.
    We’ve always used SOI and still do as far as I’m aware - signal operating index IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Yes. Good times.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    We’ve always used SOI and still do as far as I’m aware - signal operating index IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah...that's right.

I wasn't a commo guy, way more academic bandwidth (pun intended) than I could bear. Just give me a radio and tell me what channels to use.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Just give me a radio and tell me what channels to use.
    I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it loses its fill.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it loses its fill.
    Crackle crackle crackle crackle....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    When I was in the 82d, pre gwot, using sincgars, all this info was on a device called ANCD (IIRC) a thick black plastic foldy box thing with a radio pig tail hanging out of it. Had a small lcd screen and a couple buttons. It was primarily used to fill the radios but could be gone through to retrieve all of the info you guys are talking about with SOIs. I don't recall how many there were but they weren't plentiful, maybe one per battery/company. I don't know the lineage of this stuff before or after that.

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrock82 View Post
    When I was in the 82d, pre gwot, using sincgars, all this info was on a device called ANCD (IIRC) a thick black plastic foldy box thing with a radio pig tail hanging out of it. Had a small lcd screen and a couple buttons. It was primarily used to fill the radios but could be gone through to retrieve all of the info you guys are talking about with SOIs. I don't recall how many there were but they weren't plentiful, maybe one per battery/company. I don't know the lineage of this stuff before or after that.

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk
    The ANCD was still used as a backup to the SKL (Simple Key Loader). I was in theater when another unit lost an SKL and we had to do an emergency COMSEC change at like 0130, which sucked being out in the middle of BFE and having to do an over the air rekey.

I do not miss being an RTO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I remember the SOI being a thick little book, bout the size of a Smartbook, that the RTO would wear around his neck on 550 cord. This was PRC-77 days, I think.

Rumors was that one was lost by a unit in the 82nd during GW1, and therefore all had to be replaced. Wouldn't have wanted to be that guy.

Then we switched to SINCGARS, and the ANCD took care of that. Looked like a thick little laptop. Company RTO would come around and fill everyone's radios.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    That made me laugh.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast