Thread: SBRing a lower

Feedback Score

SBRing a lower

Hello folks, I read Scottryan's guide... and am wondering... why do you need an engraver? I know nothing about NFA and SBR stuff... but am considering SBRing a Spike's Lower I have, if that's even possible.

Do I need to have it engraved with something special?
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    If you're building the SBR, my understanding is you need your name (or trust name) city and state, because you're the manufacturer.

I used Veritas Machining in Union, Michigan for mine.

You have to really look for the engraving, he did a great job at making them NOT stand out (inside trigger guard if it has a non detachable one, or the inside lip of the magwell) and he can leave it silver or turn it black again.

I have no affiliation with his company, I just like his work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The manufacturer has to be engraved on the lower.

In this case you, or your trust, is going to be the second manufacturer by making this into an SBR. It needs your name or trust name, and your city/State. Because you are using an existing lower you will use the original serial number to identify it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The manufacturer has to be engraved on the lower.

In this case you, or your trust, is going to be the second manufacturer by making this into an SBR. It needs your name or trust name, and your city/State. Because you are using an existing lower you will use the original serial number to identify it.
    Ahh.. ok, that makes perfect sense. THANKS!
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've never engraved shit on my lowers, but I know guys who got correspondence from certain examiners requiring it. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the engraving was meant for actual manufacturing... like an F1 can, for example... where you don't have an original manufacturer's serial number like on an existing AR lower. But along the way, booger eating bureaucrats at ATF perverted the engraving into SBRs of existing firearms.

There's no practical value to it other than adding another roadblock to getting your firearm set up how you want it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Y'all are conflating two terms that do not have the same meaning in the context of NFA firearms. When you use an existing firearm (this includes a bare lower receiver) to make a short barrel rifle, you are not the "manufacturer". You are the "maker". The manufacturer is the company that actually made the firearm. As the "maker", you are required to engrave your name (or trust name), city and state on the firearm.

Here's a link that explains it more thoroughly.
    https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/bl...-through-guide

Here's another.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/un...ter-6/download

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Y'all are conflating two terms that do not have the same meaning in the context of NFA firearms. When you use an existing firearm (this includes a bare lower receiver) to make a short barrel rifle, you are not the "manufacturer". You are the "maker". The manufacturer is the company that actually made the firearm. As the "maker", you are required to engrave your name (or trust name), city and state on the firearm.
    Interesting. I never read/heard that before.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the lower receiver is rare / valuable, you have an option to engrave the maker's info on the barrel instead.