Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.5 inch barrel vs 13.7 inch barrel velocity

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Decent discussion. SF group using 10.3" out to 600 yards.
    We've run the 10.5 out to 750 yards... with a spotter. The only reason it's not a regular thing is because you don't put glass worthy of that distance on a 10.5 barrel. So it's irons or an RDS with crazy holdover.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m putting a 13.5” in the handguard you loaned me.
    Nice. Cut or MosTek? Unless someone is making a 13.5” now…

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Ammo selection is going to make a lot more difference than 1-2" of barrel IMO.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We've run the 10.5 out to 750 yards... with a spotter. The only reason it's not a regular thing is because you don't put glass worthy of that distance on a 10.5 barrel. So it's irons or an RDS with crazy holdover.
    The real problem with SBRs isn’t distance (within reason); it’s estimating that distance accurately. The shorter you go, the less forgiving of range estimation errors. Or bad data entry in your ballistic calculator.

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Nice. Cut or MosTek? Unless someone is making a 13.5” now…
    MosTek.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    The real problem with SBRs isn’t distance (within reason); it’s estimating that distance accurately. The shorter you go, the less forgiving of range estimation errors. Or bad data entry in your ballistic calculator.
    Absolutely. When we shoot crazy shots like that it's just a "sling it" and correct effort. Without the spotter fixing the misses, I could should gobs of ammo and never have an idea if I was close at all.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure I completely get the 13.7 length. I had one for a while. And, assuming you aren't going to SBR it, by the time you P&W it's the same overall length as the 14.5 P&W. Which is what I eventually sold it for. I do want to build a 12.5 SBR next and play with it along side my 10.3 and 11.5. I think the 12.5 is at the length where a compact LPVO might make sense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    I'm not sure I completely get the 13.7 length. I had one for a while. And, assuming you aren't going to SBR it, by the time you P&W it's the same overall length as the 14.5 P&W. Which is what I eventually sold it for. I do want to build a 12.5 SBR next and play with it along side my 10.3 and 11.5. I think the 12.5 is at the length where a compact LPVO might make sense.
    i'm siding more to the 12.5inch barrel to be honest! i have the LMT for long range . Just intrigued when i saw that uk ranger rifle uses a 13.7inch barrel - but military contracts dont always make sense

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    As has been mentioned, the UK KAC KS-1 contract had an overall length requirement including the suppressor. According to media, that barrel and suppressor combo meets the requirements.

As has also been mentioned, I believe, the 13.7/13.9” barrel moves a suppressor slightly to the rear. If pinned, the overall length doesn’t change unsuppressed but does suppressed. Additionally, I believe when I checked the weights on the KM6315 and KM6315-L, they were the same. So reduced barrel (and overall) weight by .4oz on a pencil barrel, reduced overall length suppressed by .8-.6” vs a 14.5 or 2.3-2.1” vs a 16, and mass shifted toward the pivot point (your body).

I probably wouldn’t get another 13.9”, personally, but neither would I get another 14.5”.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    I’ve built a 12.5 mid length gas system and a 13.95 mid length. I can get you some fps with Winchester white box, pmc, or federal 223 and 5.56. It might be a while, but happy to run some numbers next time at the range with chrono.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Big fan of 12.5. If I could just have one, it would be a 12.5 carbine gas with a dot and magnifier.
    nawai

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast