Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brakes vs Suppressors - for casual long range.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I run the 419 on 6 guns, excellent choice and use the hub for the Nomad. It's a 5/8 by the way
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wow. That's pretty cool. I shot 20 rounds yesterday with the brake pictured above, and it was pretty concussive. On a short 20" 308, it's too much.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I shoot a lot of long range (including many years of PRS competition), and I went away from suppressors on my long range bolt guns for the most part. I'll use them on my hunting rigs sometimes, but that's it. I did it for two main reasons:

1. I had instances with both quick detach and direct thread suppressors, where they would come loose at times during matches, and change my point of impact. This cost me match points on more than one occasion. Because of it, I found myself constantly checking the tightness, and finally decided to quit worrying about it, and went back to brakes.

2. Brakes have better recoil management, which makes it easier to spot impacts and misses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Wow. That's pretty cool. I shot 20 rounds yesterday with the brake pictured above, and it was pretty concussive. On a short 20" 308, it's too much.
    Yeah 20” is a bit short and that brake looks properly obnoxious. The Area 419 brake is actually not bad behind the gun, first port is 90 degrees so it creates a gas barrier to the other ports pushing gas and concussion back to the shooter.

Anyone to the side of you will hate you though. A lot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Yeah 20” is a bit short and that brake looks properly obnoxious.
    Also the top ports are not optimal. I came across this hog, and just had to try it again.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12