Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roofing question for ya

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    My guess is abnak is going with corrugated metal panels based on his answers.

Kynar 500 coated panels for standing seam is my preference.

I look at ventilation on a case by case basis, lots of variables to consider to optimize for the specific home/structure.

Most important broad factor is net flow of 2:1 ratios of I take/exhaust- intake@soffit to exhaust@ridge.
    Yes, that is what I was thinking.

Something similar to this picture: https://www.buildwithrise.com/storie...ut-metal-roofs
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-05-24 at 14:58.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    Also make sure and install snow stop over areas people will be walking/present below the roof if you live in an area that gets snow.
    We rarely get a large amount of snow, but did a few years after getting the metal roof. Sitting inside and heard a roaring sound and a cloud of snow outside. Went out to find about 3' deep x 4' wide dam of snow along the front and back that would have been rough to be under.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    We rarely get a large amount of snow, but did a few years after getting the metal roof. Sitting inside and heard a roaring sound and a cloud of snow outside. Went out to find about 3' deep x 4' wide dam of snow along the front and back that would have been rough to be under.
    Snow shedding off steel roofs has actually killed people. We've lost a couple children to roofs shedding snow in Alaska, and a whole bunch of vehicles. Metal is fast to install, long lasting and a great choice for many applications. I sell a whole bunch of it, but I sure hate when people don't take into account the danger metal presents into their home design. Snow stops have to be applied all the way to the ridge in my country, otherwise they just get ripped off. Valleys are a constant problem as well. I have one home with standing seam steel, and another with high quality shingles. It sure is nice to be able to use all the space around my buildings with the shingles vs. having the eave ends of my house being a danger zone when the snow flies.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Our roof was old, but had some damage from recent storms. I was prepared to pay for it myself, I have the money, but was encouraged to ask insurance if it would be covered. It was. Getting our new roof next week.

I'd love to have a metal roof, tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Our roof was old, but had some damage from recent storms. I was prepared to pay for it myself, I have the money, but was encouraged to ask insurance if it would be covered. It was. Getting our new roof next week.

I'd love to have a metal roof, tho.
    The insurance company will pay XXX for your roof, why not just add to that amount for a metal roof? That way you get a metal roof for only the difference between the two.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-11-24 at 10:35.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    The insurance company will pay XXX for your roof, why not just add to that amount for a metal roof? That way you get a metal roof for only the difference between the two.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Plus your insurance should decrease.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    First, I am not planning to be in this house after my youngest leaves or I die, whichever comes first (statistically dead even).

Second, we need a roof now, we have some growing leaks and this is storm season. I just don't have time to shop around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12