Thread: Question about proper optics terminology

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Question about proper optics terminology

I know this has got to be a dumb question, but what is the proper technical term used to describe the multiplier of a base mag range?

For example, a 2-12 magnification range optic is double of 1-6. What's the term for that doubling?

Like the Leupold VH6HD which has a 6:1 zoom ratio can be 1-6, 2-12, 3-18, and 4-24.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't know if it's right or not, but I've always thought of that low-end number (no zoom applied) as the base magnification.

so 4-14x is 4x magnification with a 3.5:1 zoom ratio

If you have two scopes with a 6:1 zoom, moving from the 1-6x to the 2-12x would be a doubling of the magnification.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feedback Score
    Not sure of the question. Its a 6x zoom with 2x base magnification.

Are you looking for a single word? Maybe write a sentance with a blank where you cant figure the term out.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Not sure of the question. Its a 6x zoom with 2x base magnification.

Are you looking for a single word? Maybe write a sentance with a blank where you cant figure the term out.
    The term I'm looking for is the multiplier that is applied, for example, to a 1-6 scope, that turns it into a 2-12 or 3-18 scope.

So in those examples there is a 2x and 3x multiplier.

I know there's a technical term for it but I can't remember to save my butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Nevermind, answered an unasked question.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    The term I'm looking for is the multiplier that is applied, for example, to a 1-6 scope, that turns it into a 2-12 or 3-18 scope.

So in those examples there is a 2x and 3x multiplier.

I know there's a technical term for it but I can't remember to save my butt.

The only term I know of is "base (or native) magnification" theres no multiplier (zoom), thats the 1-6, 1-4, etc. You have a zoom ratio (1-6x), and a base magnification (2x).
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-17-24 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You're looking for a term that applies to the the magnification difference of two different optics?

I don't know of any such word.

Make up one of your own. Whomever you're telling it to will think you're gifted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    I know this has got to be a dumb question, but what is the proper technical term used to describe the multiplier of a base mag range?

For example, a 2-12 magnification range optic is double of 1-6. What's the term for that doubling?

Like the Leupold VH6HD which has a 6:1 zoom ratio can be 1-6, 2-12, 3-18, and 4-24.
    Zoom ratio is the correct term. Internally, it's a standard erector assembly with lenses spaced in a certain way. Manufacturers reuse that erector assembly and change the specs of the objective and ocular lens to set the base magnification level.

For example, take the Meopta Optika6 line. All of them use a 6:1 zoom ratio, and likely the same erector assembly. From that, they produce:
    • 1-6x24
    • 2.5-15x44
    • 3-18x50
    • 4.5-27x56
    • 5-30x56

All of these use the same 6:1 ratio, but adjust the size of the objective and ocular lenses to provide the starting magnification and appropriate amount of light for the higher magnification.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Zoom ratio is the correct term. Internally, it's a standard erector assembly with lenses spaced in a certain way. Manufacturers reuse that erector assembly and change the specs of the objective and ocular lens to set the base magnification level.

For example, take the Meopta Optika6 line. All of them use a 6:1 zoom ratio, and likely the same erector assembly. From that, they produce:
    • 1-6x24
    • 2.5-15x44
    • 3-18x50
    • 4.5-27x56
    • 5-30x56

All of these use the same 6:1 ratio, but adjust the size of the objective and ocular lenses to provide the starting magnification and appropriate amount of light for the higher magnification.
    Thank you, that makes sense.