Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kill Switch added to new cars?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ap1220 View Post
    .... Probably more about “climate saving” and control your driving and you from driving. “I’m sorry Dave, you cannot travel anywhere today because you have surpassed your allowed carbon footprint for this week. Why don’t you walk, bike, or utilize public transportation instead.”
    And like HAL9000, the solution is the same...

I just saw a video today that I'll try to find again, where a guy had his car serviced, it had to update the nav/entertainment/nanny system, and when he turned the car on the next day, it asked him to 'accept the terms of service".
    Well, he decided to read them, and about 30 pages or so in, it had some stuff about consenting to the use of activating geo-fencing and geo-location. I'm heavily paraphrasing there was more to it than that, but the point was, it appears these nav systems are also able to tie into a system that can literally stop you from driving into certain areas...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    And like HAL9000, the solution is the same...

I just saw a video today that I'll try to find again, where a guy had his car serviced, it had to update the nav/entertainment/nanny system, and when he turned the car on the next day, it asked him to 'accept the terms of service".
    Well, he decided to read them, and about 30 pages or so in, it had some stuff about consenting to the use of activating geo-fencing and geo-location. I'm heavily paraphrasing there was more to it than that, but the point was, it appears these nav systems are also able to tie into a system that can literally stop you from driving into certain areas...
    Did he refuse to consent? Someone needs to so we know where it goes from there!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I like the old classics even more.
    This is one of the many reasons I have a bunch of old trucks.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Did he refuse to consent? Someone needs to so we know where it goes from there!
    He took the car back to the dealer.
    Allegedly.... this is an EV thing, with apparently newer vehicles.

"Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    While I am hardly an expert in these things, I suspect it'll be "hard-wired" into the system and any attempt to deactivate will make the vehicle inoperable.

My wife and I have a 2023 Hyundai Elantra as a work and run-around car. It has that damn reminder thing that bleeps if you go left of center (or too close to the line) or to the right of the edge line. It'll flash "Consider taking a break" with a cup of coffee pictured. It doesn't flash that warning until it's happened a couple of times. I don't drive around drunk but I might swerve a tad screwing with a burger or such. I can see exactly how that technology would work though......
    I believe ecu mods can bypass all that. People will always be turning current cars into track cars.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I believe ecu mods can bypass all that. People will always be turning current cars into track cars.
    It would I imagine to be pretty easy to accomplish actually.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123