Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 120 of 120

Thread: How does Law Enforcement manage to get by with M&P15s?

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9,939
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    You are the Sheriff of a large county out west with 3,000 square miles to cover. You have 22 deputies, 2 Sergeants, and a Lieutenant and 2 part time deputies. The County Council has allocated $10,000 to buy patrol carbines. This is "use it or loose it", there is no asking for more, doing so forfeits the entire amount.

    How many and what do you buy? What do you tell the ones that don't get one, if any.

    Assume a 30% discount on internet retail sticker price, no more. You cannot just make up numbers, you have to link or name the retailer with the price you are using.
    Sheriff buys his own. Part timers share one rifle in the part-timer unit. Deputies with take home cars get a rifle, assuming all deputies have a take home unit. So a total of 26 rifles. Figuring a 30% discount means your $10,000 equals $13,000 buying power. Which means $500.00 a rifle.

    $499.99 - PSA PA-15 16" NITRIDE M4 CARBINE 5.56 MOE EPT AR-15 RIFLE, OD GREEN. 1/7 twist (so a 62gr - 69gr duty load); nitride barrel; all aluminum and steel is correct specification.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...-od-green.html

    Have the armorer go over them closely on a pre-inspection and fix any problems during the train-up.

    That's the only one I found which gives you a front and rear sight, and comes in at budget price.

    Which I believe was the point of the exercise.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

    Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    34,297
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Sheriff buys his own. Part timers share one rifle in the part-timer unit. Deputies with take home cars get a rifle, assuming all deputies have a take home unit. So a total of 26 rifles. Figuring a 30% discount means your $10,000 equals $13,000 buying power. Which means $500.00 a rifle.

    $499.99 - PSA PA-15 16" NITRIDE M4 CARBINE 5.56 MOE EPT AR-15 RIFLE, OD GREEN. 1/7 twist (so a 62gr - 69gr duty load); nitride barrel; all aluminum and steel is correct specification.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...-od-green.html

    Have the armorer go over them closely on a pre-inspection and fix any problems during the train-up.

    That's the only one I found which gives you a front and rear sight, and comes in at budget price.

    Which I believe was the point of the exercise.
    A lot of that also comes down to if officers are allowed to private purchase their rifles. And even then they usually have to buy something on the approved list.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    34,297
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo40 View Post
    I was being sarcastic about the Checkmate Magazines. Obviously those were absolute junk, my point was that what is used by Law Enforcement or Military personnel isn't always of top quality, which is also what this thread is about. There seems to be a fair amount of wiggle room between junk, adequate, and ideal, with some being of the opinion that there's nothing in between junk and ideal, with the vast majority of things on the market being the former, or otherwise that there's no difference between adequate and ideal.

    To me, "good enough" is just that, adequate, serviceable, efficient.
    I'm not heavily invested in this to debate your ideas strongly. We also aren't very far off except my "good enough" might require higher standards than you. Most of us just buy a fire extinguisher from Wal Mart and call it good, but I imagine if you work for the fire department your minimum standards for a home fire extinguisher might be higher.

    Certainly having a budget gun for home defense is better than nothing. Maybe it's my having lived in south Florida for 30 years and heard all the "we got robbed, somebody broke into our home while we were sleeping, we got home invaded" horror stories has me at a higher level of concern than most other people.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    CONUS
    Posts
    6,019
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Use the funding allocation to subsidize the purchases with a Colt/BCM requirement to qualify.
    Why restrict the authorized weapon list to those two?
    Train 2 Win

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Apr 2024
    Posts
    48
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    I'm not heavily invested in this to debate your ideas strongly. We also aren't very far off except my "good enough" might require higher standards than you. Most of us just buy a fire extinguisher from Wal Mart and call it good, but I imagine if you work for the fire department your minimum standards for a home fire extinguisher might be higher.

    Certainly having a budget gun for home defense is better than nothing. Maybe it's my having lived in south Florida for 30 years and heard all the "we got robbed, somebody broke into our home while we were sleeping, we got home invaded" horror stories has me at a higher level of concern than most other people.
    Your analogy regarding Fire Extinguishers seems strange in context, considering that the very threat itself is questioning the use of M&P15s in Law Enforcement. If a LEO were to select an M&P15 for Home Defense because that's what he's issued at work, then isn't he doing precisely as you suggest that a firefighter who choses a Fire Extinguisher based on what they have at the firehouse might do?

    Personally, I have seen no compelling reason to suspect that a properly maintained AR produced by a reputable manufacturer would fail to function if called upon in a Home Invasion scenario, ergo I cannot comprehend the basis for the belief that one is necessarily better servered/prepared to repell an attack by purchasing a Colt over FN, SIG, S&W, etc.

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    34,297
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo40 View Post
    Your analogy regarding Fire Extinguishers seems strange in context, considering that the very threat itself is questioning the use of M&P15s in Law Enforcement. If a LEO were to select an M&P15 for Home Defense because that's what he's issued at work, then isn't he doing precisely as you suggest that a firefighter who choses a Fire Extinguisher based on what they have at the firehouse might do?

    Personally, I have seen no compelling reason to suspect that a properly maintained AR produced by a reputable manufacturer would fail to function if called upon in a Home Invasion scenario, ergo I cannot comprehend the basis for the belief that one is necessarily better servered/prepared to repell an attack by purchasing a Colt over FN, SIG, S&W, etc.
    I think fire fighters are probably more informed when it comes to fire extinguishers than the average LEO is when it comes to defensive carbines. The important part of my reply however is "We also aren't very far off except my "good enough" might require higher standards than you."
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    4,406
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My current duty rifle is a DDM4V7 and my last was a Colt 6920. Both 1in7 barrels.

    The first two rounds of our qual are a "zero check" shot for score. The target is a 4 MOA dot with a 2 MOA center dot. Both the Colt and the DD have not problem keeping practice or duty rounds inside the 2 MOA dot. Practice ammo is 55 grain FMJ Winchester (prior was 55 grain Federal) and duty ammo is Hornady TAP 53 grain CX (previous was 55 grain Federal TRU).

    Every 1in7 twist AR I have fired had no problem with 55 grain ammo.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

    IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    towel heads were fighting with receivers made from sand casts with melted coke cans

    M&Ps are absolutely fine.

    this thread is full on retarded

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    34,297
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    towel heads were fighting with receivers made from sand casts with melted coke cans

    M&Ps are absolutely fine.

    this thread is full on retarded
    Carbon 15s were made of plastic and one department used them as duty weapons. That doesn't mean they were reliable or particularly suitable. But if Khyber Pass QC is all you need, go ahead.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC.
    Posts
    6,360
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Nobody was fighting with that garbage.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •