Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are "Fudds" as quirky as us?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    People get gayed up over anything.

No matter how weird, boring, unusual, or mundane, there is a whole community of people who follow every little detail.

http://www.knittersreview.com/upcoming_events.asp

That must be quite a link as filters keep me from viewing.
    Last edited by g5m; 01-09-09 at 11:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    Fudd's are suckers for a new cartridge that does exactly what the 30-06 does but at 4x the cost and barrel wear. How dead do they want that deer, anyway?

M_P
    How many of them do you think have ever worn out one single barrel?

They want the deer deader. I remember when everybody in my local gunshop was clamoring over one another to buy 30-378 Weatherby Magnums for baby sized Texas deer. Most of them probably were hunting over feeders less than 150 yds away too.

ToddG Guest
    The most insane people at SHOT will be the trap shooters. Guaranteed. Followed closely by most of the other shotgun sports.

The paintball/airsoft crowd has also become a major segment of SHOT since the show organizers began letting them on the floor a couple years back. You can actually meet people at the SHOT Show now who believe that guns should be banned.

A huge percentage of the attendees (and the folks for whom the SHOW is really intended) are shop owners and their interest generally lies in sales programs, pricing, terms, and the like. They actually show up to spend money and do business.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    They actually show up to spend money and do business.
    Gasp! At a trade show?

I'm so geeked about getting to go this year, when you guys see the red-headed dork frantically sprinting from booth to booth like a 4 year old on a 3 day kool-aid sugar rush on Saturday...that'll be me

(just kidding I promise to behave myself)
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    Well, I guess you could call me a "Fudd" to a certain extent. I started off hunting and that's my primary passion. It was only last year I bought my first EBR and it has opened up a whole new realm for me. These things are a blast! I would like to take this moment to thank all the great members for providing such valuable information and insight on all the various tech aspects of all the equipment. It has helped make me a "wise and informed" consumer. Now, back on topic.

As stated, there are owners, shooters and I'd like to include enthusiasts in all fields regarding firearms and their intended purposes. Hunters are just as "tech savvy" as the rest. We get excited over a new GPS, rangefinder, trail cam, waterproofing or anything that can make us more successful. We appreciate the Light Optimization Profile on the Leupold VX-L to achieve the proper cheek weld when shooting. And yes, that new and improved Mallard decoy with the digital image transfer makes some of us grab a towel to clean ourselves up. I personally can't wait to see what new products come out of SHOT but there are many people in all fields that have no idea about this show or what it's about.

In all seriousness, I see the same thing here regarding new products/innovations or just building a better mousetrap. Look at all the vertical foregrips offered in not only the standard length but the "stubby" as well. We have one point, two point and three point slings with the latter being frowned upon. We have red lasers, green lasers, weapon mounted lights that strobe because they're better and the regualr ones just aren't cool anymore. Look at the excitement that stems from a new magazine design. The list goes on but I'm still learning . Is this really any different then that new over and under with hammer ejectors? I don't think so.

I personally think that the "Fudds" get a bad rap but unfortunately, this is the group that tends to "Zumbo" themselves the most. We don't seem to learn and Cooper is just the latest example. But not all hunters are "Fudds", not all AR owners are "Special Ops" wannabe's and not all CCL holders are "Cop" wannabe's and carry a badge. Unfortunately, it's the few in each category that makes the rest of us look bad. I will give the AR community this, they are more passionate about their "category" and I think it's because they are under constant attack. If only all the categories could learn from you guys and if only we could all band together and quit classifying each other. The fact is we are all under constant attack, it's just the other communities haven't never had anything taken away like the AR community did in '94. That's where the difference lies.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Freakdaddy View Post
    Well, I guess you could call me a "Fudd" to a certain extent. I started off hunting and that's my primary passion. It was only last year I bought my first EBR and it has opened up a whole new realm for me. These things are a blast! I would like to take this moment to thank all the great members for providing such valuable information and insight on all the various tech aspects of all the equipment. It has helped make me a "wise and informed" consumer. Now, back on topic.

As stated, there are owners, shooters and I'd like to include enthusiasts in all fields regarding firearms and their intended purposes. Hunters are just as "tech savvy" as the rest. We get excited over a new GPS, rangefinder, trail cam, waterproofing or anything that can make us more successful. We appreciate the Light Optimization Profile on the Leupold VX-L to achieve the proper cheek weld when shooting. And yes, that new and improved Mallard decoy with the digital image transfer makes some of us grab a towel to clean ourselves up. I personally can't wait to see what new products come out of SHOT but there are many people in all fields that have no idea about this show or what it's about.

In all seriousness, I see the same thing here regarding new products/innovations or just building a better mousetrap. Look at all the vertical foregrips offered in not only the standard length but the "stubby" as well. We have one point, two point and three point slings with the latter being frowned upon. We have red lasers, green lasers, weapon mounted lights that strobe because they're better and the regualr ones just aren't cool anymore. Look at the excitement that stems from a new magazine design. The list goes on but I'm still learning . Is this really any different then that new over and under with hammer ejectors? I don't think so.

I personally think that the "Fudds" get a bad rap but unfortunately, this is the group that tends to "Zumbo" themselves the most. We don't seem to learn and Cooper is just the latest example. But not all hunters are "Fudds", not all AR owners are "Special Ops" wannabe's and not all CCL holders are "Cop" wannabe's and carry a badge. Unfortunately, it's the few in each category that makes the rest of us look bad. I will give the AR community this, they are more passionate about their "category" and I think it's because they are under constant attack. If only all the categories could learn from you guys and if only we could all band together and quit classifying each other. The fact is we are all under constant attack, it's just the other communities haven't never had anything taken away like the AR community did in '94. That's where the difference lies.

wow.

nice post.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    First there were three point slings,
    second there were two point sling,
    third there were one point slings!

I bring you Zero point slings, just hold onto your damn rifle

Would a Fudd look at that MPL MOE rifle stuff yesterday and ask if the MOE came in walnut?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i'd be "worked up" about upgrading my hunting rifle/gear if deer started shooting back at me.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The most insane people at SHOT will be the trap shooters. Guaranteed. Followed closely by most of the other shotgun sports.
    That's no joke. The ugliest debates over black rifles pale in comparison to some with the clays/trap/skeet folks.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Freakdaddy:
    Sounds like you get it, no calling you a Fudd from me.
    --Josh H.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast