Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help me decide what 308 to get

Feedback Score

help me decide what 308 to get

i really like the Panther LR-308C

i want something that has a classic m4 look (dont like the rounded barrels like the ar10)

i saw this and i really like this design (grabbed this pic from the ar10 pic thread)

however i dont want a direct impingement operated rifle like i believe the dpms is (not 100% sure on that)

would prefer not to piece together my rifle i just want to buy the whole thing (new) as is from a single manufacturer,
    budget is around 1500

so any ar10/308 experts out there please help me out with my purchase it would be greatly appreciated

Feedback Score
    Take a look at the FNAR.

On the LR-308 front I have a LR-308T and like it quite a bit, it is very accurate, smallest group so far was under .25 @ 100 yards, average .6 to .7", very manageable recoil and fun to shoot. I get 2650 FPS with 150 grain bullets.

The gas key is well staked, the only problem I've had is the gas block loosened up a bit after about 200 rounds, hasn't loosened again yet.

Feedback Score

your dream is alive and well

Feedback Score
    i thought the sabrs were not available , after much digging the only thing i found that was redily available was from pof.....the sabrs now shipping?

Feedback Score
    SABRs from LWRC will start shipping in March or April I believe, with pre-orders being taken shortly after the SHOT show.

I think it is definitely worth the wait and the cost.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    IMHO if want a to get a 7.62 Nato rifle to go to war with you must get a FAL, HK 91 or an M14 type rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    IMHO if want a to get a 7.62 Nato rifle to go to war with you must get a FAL, HK 91 or an M14 type rifle.
    Listen to this guy, except the m14 sorry.
    The AR10/LR rifles are nice because the rail makes it easy to scope or install APs or what ever, however they are not as reliable as AR15s. I have been building custom 308/260/6.5x47/300RSAUM ARs for a few years and they just do not feed as well as a AR15. I believe the bolt being larger in diameter by design keeps the top of the mag down low enough that the chute from the mag to the chamber is a little too steep.
    After making a bigger slope to my chamber I have a lightweight that will run but I still have more misfeeds than my AR15s.
    Most will never see battle so a 3 gun match or carbine course is about as close as you will come to battle firing conditions. Find a 3 gun comp that shoots 200-400 rifle rounds in a day and run your rifle through it. It will give you an idea of how many misfeeds you could have if in an incident.
    1 misfeed is too many

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would do what the Marines have done. Go with an M14/M1A rifle. They are also putting them in a Sage stock which gives you the same modular ability of the AR platform. The M14 is also rock solid and very reliable. I bought a Springfield M1A Socom II with 16" barrel with an Urban Camo Stock.

Here is the rifle I bought: http://www.dbshooters.com/springfiel...08-pr-135.html

I paid $1600 just weeks ago for the rifle direct from Springfield. Mags are very easy to find and the USGI mags (top quality) can easily be found new for $25 each. This was also a big reason I went with the M14 over an AR 308 is availability of mags, parts and it's reliability. The AR 308 rifles seem to be hit or miss. You have to think that a ban is going to happen. The M14 has the same advantage the AR in 5.56 has, lots of parts, mags etc available for them because they have been around for a very long time.

The Marines are using this stock a Sage EBR: http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/conten...od_review.html

I plan on buying a second M1A with a 18" barrel and dropping it in this stock set up. Then I have multiple rifles all taking the same mags etc.

One thing I did when I ordered my M1A Socom II from Springfield is I had them install the extended top rail so the rail goes all the way to the rear sight. This gives me additional optics I can mount on the rifle. This is not a standard rail for the version I bought but it is available on another model. They did not charge for this custom option. Great company to work with and the lead time was only 30 days.

Dave

Feedback Score

optics

one reason i didnt want to go with the 14 was because i thought the availability of optics was limited ... can u please show me a pic of this extended rail ... also was wondering if the m14 was considered direct impingement or piston operated?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serp View Post
    one reason i didnt want to go with the 14 was because i thought the availability of optics was limited ... can u please show me a pic of this extended rail ... also was wondering if the m14 was considered direct impingement or piston operated?
    This should give you a good pic of it. Keep in mind that with the Sage EBR stock it has a rail that attaches to the rear sight so you can place any optics on it you want.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=31

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast