Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Loadouts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shotgun Loadouts

How is your duty (or defensive) shotgun loaded? While comparing notes recently with some colleagues, we found quite a variety of methods in current or recent use:

1. Buck, exclusively
    2. Slugs exclusively
    3. Slugs, tube downloaded, option to select-load OOB
    4. Buck, tube downloaded, option to select-load slug
    5. Slugs, tube fully loaded, option to select-load OOB
    6. Buck, tube fully loaded, option to select-load slug
    7. Slugs and buck, alternated in magazine tube
    8. Slug first round out of tube, buck following
    9. Buck first round out of tube, slugs following

The methods identified represent nearly all possibilities. Loadouts in bold were most popular. One one alternated slugs and buck, a small retro agency and CLEO.

None reported using shot other than 9-pellet OOB, except for small game loads (#6-#8) for varmint control. Slugs were all 1oz foster type. Almost all buck and slugs were a low-recoil variant of Fed, Win, or Rem. All were 12ga. Most were a Remington variant.

Where LTL is deployed, almost all used dedicated guns, with a few transitionals.

What's says the membership here, and why?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With my HD 870 I have the tube full of 00 buck with 4 slugs in the speedfeed stock if needed.

However, if someone were to bust in the door, I doubt I would have the time or presence of mind to use one of the slugs...
    Last edited by Mikey; 01-13-09 at 08:06.

Feedback Score
    Depends on when and where--in general, for outdoors and around vehicles, the 870 magazine tube is fully loaded with Brenneke slugs, 00 buckshot is on side saddle; if the 870 is going to be my primary long gun for entries (not breaching), the magazine tube is fully loaded with 00 buckshot and Brenneke slugs are on the side saddle. I don't particularly like Foster type slugs...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 01-13-09 at 02:15.

Feedback Score
    General Purpose: All 00 Buck
    Vehicle Gun: Slug, Ferret, Buck, Buck, Buck
    Funny Gun: Dedicated LTL
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    My HD 870 Remington equipped with a Surefire Light is loaded with Federal Tactical 00 buckshot and my Side Saddle has slugs riding in it.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Tube fully loaded with Federal Tactical low-recoil 00B w/ FliteControl wad. Six round side saddle loaded with three additional 00B and three Winchester Ranger low-recoil, 1-oz. slugs. Eagle Shotgun Patrol bandoleer loaded with six 00B and six slugs.

Feedback Score
    Tube loaded with Fed . mag 12 pellet 00b. Sidesaddle additional buck and Fed 1.25 oz slugs

Feedback Score
    I'm a #4 guy, but the extended mag is downloaded 1 round mainly for less compression on the LE mag spring left loaded for long terms, as well as selective loading purposes.
    - mag is loaded w/ 4 rounds of reduced recoil 00 buck, side saddle has 3 more rounds of 00 & 3 Brenneke slugs. More of both in nifty 2 round clip-on carriers in the bedstand.
    Last edited by Buckshot TX; 01-13-09 at 21:37.

Feedback Score
    4BK reduced recoil in the gun and 3 spares in the saddle, with 3 slugs next to them. More of both in a bandoleer/belt.
    When preparing to engage in a battle of wits, it's best to ensure you're using quality ammunition.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My duty shotgun is loaded with slugs, more on the sidesaddle. My HD 870 is loaded with 00buck, more 00 on the sidesaddle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast