Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
Hi, my name is Gary and I just learned today in this thread that I am a "gun snob".

In this thread I learned that sub $1000 dollar 1911's with poor quality parts and sub-standard build efforts are just as reliable, durable, and can be equally counted on to save my life as more expensive, properly fitted 1911's that cost over $2500. I will probably need to seek psychiatric help for this issue, because I am clearly out of touch with reality, since the new information in this thread about 1911's is completely contrary to my 20+ years of military and LE experience using and observing numerous pistols firing many hundreds of thousands of rounds.

I've carried a 1911 for 25 years and have stated numerous times that a properly customized 5" steel-frame single-stack 1911 in .45 ACP is a superb, unparalleled choice for the dedicated user willing to spend a significant amount of money to get it properly initially set-up and considerable time to maintain it. In fact, I just re-qualified with the 1911 and G19 this week. Yet if I didn't have 25 years already invested with the 1911, I'd probably go with a .40 M&P w/ambi safety (or .45 M&P if effected by asinine laws restricting magazine capacity)... When looking at all the factors of picking a hard-use pistol, I truly believe that if someone wants a 1911 for serious use, the minimum level of quality for a duty/carry weapon is the SA Pro model (either PC9111 or PC9111LR if you want a light rail) or equivalent; for folks not willing to invest that much into the weapon system, don't get a 1911. End of Story. FWIW, current Kimbers generally have not performed well, especially those utilizing the Swartz type firing pin safety. For folks who want a .45 ACP pistol, but don't want to invest the funds and effort into getting a good 1911, they would be better served with a S&W .45 ACP M&P or HK45. Recent Sig's, especially the P220's have had numerous issues. Likewise, G21's also have a somewhat checkered history--particularly with several west coast LE agencies that have reported significant problems. For that matter a 9 mm Glock or M&P would probably work for 90% of shooters service pistol needs...
In case people don't read the whole thread, this bears repeating because its still the one post I pretty much totally agree with. Limey makes some good points, I cringe too when I hear "fit and finish" as the number one selling point. Kimber comes to mind. Looks good in the case though.

If you just want a 1911 to play with at the range, then that's different than wanting to depend upon one for your life. Decide your needs first. If reliability is way up there, then you are taking a gamble relying on a mass-produced 1911. And those are the ones in the sub-1200 range.