Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911's

Feedback Score

1911's

Hey guys ive been kickin around the idea of buying my first handgun for the past few months. Im a broke college student so this is going to be my only handgun for a while. I was originally looking into getting a glock 20 but, every time i think of getting something else i always circle back to a 1911, i cant get away from it. 1911's are about as american as killin terrorists and apple pie. So, heres my question, what are some nice 1911's i can get for about 700 bucks? price cant exceed 800 bucks. Im looking for a reliable, accurate shtf 1911.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are only going to have one handgun and don't have a lot of money to spend, a 1911 is probably not a good choice. A gun purchased at that price will likely need some work to run well enough to be depended on. What about getting an M&P 45 (similar grip angle, can be had with strong side safety) and then a 1911 later on when you have the bank account to support it?

ToddG Guest
    Suggest you do an exhaustive search of this forum. The issue of bargain 1911's comes up often and has been rehashed almost monthly.

Have a good idea in your mind of what you want the gun for: home defense, concealed carry, competition, plinking?

Feedback Score
    if i were to have to spend money on a $700 gun to make it run right then forget it, ill resort back to my old plan, but a heartless plastic pistol (glock or SW) I like the SW, i havent held one but they look nice, and their very affordable.

Feedback Score
    Todd, this said handgun would pretty much be an all of the above gun. Home defense, ccw, carbine/pistol course gun, some competition, weekly range plinker. Its going to be used heavily. Now for whatever its worth, im a 6'1" 176lb athlete, broad shoulders, large chest, so for ccw size doesent really matter.

ToddG Guest
    I'd agree with Daveo then. For that kind of money the 1911 isn't the best choice, especially if it's your first gun.

Feedback Score
    i guess technically it would be my second, my dad and i shared his old sig 226 9mm. Ive put more rounds through that sig226 than i can even begin to guess, it taught me how to shoot a handgun. I was going to look into buying a new sig but i herd their QC has gone to hell. I think glock or SW is a good option for a out of the box reliable accurate shtf go to gun... would yall agree? i could buy a glock, do a trigger job on it and be gtg. if the bad stuff about sig is just internet mall ninja haters, then, ill certainly look seriously into a new/used sig.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For that kind of money I really like the older Kimbers. I have a bone stock pre-series II Kimber that keeps running and running.

There are a few on gunbroker:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=120563718

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=120425035

While you are there check out the Norinco 1911's.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=120419255

They are usually selling in the $450 dollar range although I did see one sell locally for $350 recently. Very good steel and decent overall quality. You can start out with that and later on upgrade the sights and other items as you progress.

Whatever you purchase, get some good magazines for it. Personally I like Chip McCormick or Wilson.

Feedback Score
    thx dude! ill def look on the used market, as those kimbers looked nice! ill try and see what my local shop has to offer. and i dont think i could bring my self to buy a norinco anything.

i cant buy anything made by a commie, especially something as American as a 1911. every time we buy commie goods, a puppy gets killed... i dont want to be responsible for innocent puppy deaths.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    thx dude! ill def look on the used market, as those kimbers looked nice! ill try and see what my local shop has to offer. and i dont think i could bring my self to buy a norinco anything.
    Sounds good, just stay away from the newer series II Kimbers, they seem to be hit and miss, and a firing pin safety system is un-1911.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast