Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 95gr 9mm

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

95gr 9mm

Any terminal ballisitc info on a 95gr 9mm manufacturered by Radway Green?

Just spent some time with a very interesting organization that is using this ammo, but was unable to get much info about it. No idea if it is +P, velocity, used in handguns or subguns or anything. I just saw empty boxes- no indication on them of anything other than weight and caliber.

Anything?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

95-grain 9mm Radway Green

The Ball or Hollow Point?

There was concern with SIG P226 cracking with military standard and heavy 9mm. Maybe a way of getting a faster bullet with slightly less frame battering?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Don't know if it was JHP or ball. I assume that it is a HP, but was looking to see if anyone had hard data. The unit primarily uses G17s (but also employs several others) and a few different 9mm loads.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

ToddG Guest
    If it's loaded to max pressure, it will actually probably wear out guns faster than heavier stuff. Slide velocities will be significant.

My recollection is that most of the 95gr stuff was JSP, an early approach to reducing ricochet threats.

I wouldn't volunteer to get shot with it, but I don't think any of it falls within the "happy zone" of current terminal ballistics thinking in terms of pen/exp. Doctor Roberts would obviously be the guy with the answers ...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wasn't LAPD or NYPD issuing 95-gr loads in the past?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    Wasn't LAPD or NYPD issuing 95-gr loads in the past?
    I know that for a while NYPD was issuing 124gr JHP. But I don't know on what scope
    Last edited by Abraxas; 01-16-09 at 14:44.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    NYPD never issued any soft points. we did have test rounds in .38 spl. it was speer 158 gr. +p soft point. i have a few boxes of it, for history purposes only. i don't believe we ever did anything w/ soft points in 9mm. i have aleast a box of evertthing we carried or tested for carry.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I believe the Illinois State Police used a 95gr JSP for a while when Smith & Wesson 9mm autos were issued.

Feedback Score
    LAPD's first 9mm issue round was the Federal 95 grain soft point. John Pride told me that the round expanded a little and then the core and jacket usually separated, with the jacket remaining behind and the the core making a complete penetration of the shootee. All in all, not very good performance, but the powers that be still wouldn't authorize hollow point ammo, so the JSP load was the compromise.

Actual chronographed velocity from their Beretta 92FS was 1300-1325 fps for the load.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    IIRC, the LAPD went from the 95 gr JSP, to 115 gr JHP, to 147 gr JHP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast