Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official: HK416 and 417 on civilian market in late 2009

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    This is great news! I guess some folks won't be happy because they can't put their "pigtail" gas tubes in the gun. I really wanted to use my old Olympic Arms cast lower on my 416 upper.
    That's a straw man argument. Retrofitting was a highly marketed feature of the 416. Removing it was a mistake by any measure.

This however has no bearing on the overall quality of the firearm. The cost of entry will also be far more prohibitive do to consumers being forced to purchase complete firearms instead of uppers. The SBR option is also dead now without a hacksaw.
    Last edited by variablebinary; 01-14-09 at 11:54.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks HundK, but I'll keep my Recce....

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Well, given what these are likely to cost, you can probably buy a German 416 upper!

I think the real danger with these rifles is not the pin, which I think is more likely to just be a matter of internet trivia for people who weren't going to buy the rifles anyway, but the cost. If the .223 rifle is more than 3k than they can forget it. I am a little more flexible on the 7.62 gun. HK needs to price the gun slightly less than the SCAR to be in the sweet-spot, IMHO.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    hk continues to underwhelm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To add to my 556 compairison...

Here's one observation, why are they going with the hair brained fixed rear, flip down front? Is there something I'm missing here? Did HK do this for a reason? Are they even going to offer these with the HK diopter fixed sights normally seen on the 416?

Also another WTF with the Tango down pistol grip. Why did the HK 416 pistol grip get trashed? Every account I've read on the 416 pistol grip stated it was one of the most ergonomic grips made, the same cannot be said of the tango down unit. I am glad they kept the 416 stock, but they should have retained all of the 416 furniture.

For that matter do we even know if one can swap out with the MR556 furniture with ones of their choice? Say a MIAD and UBR? It will be disappointing to say the least if you're stuck with the HK/Tango Down stuff. Likewise, I will be very curious to see how well P-mags work with this weapon. I really hope there's no insertion issues (ala S&W) or drop free issues. I hate to beat the mil-spec drum, but these are all worries once you start down the proprietary weapon pattern path.

I guess when it comes down to it, I'll keep my good old 14.5" LMT DI M4 carbine.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 01-14-09 at 15:52.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I suspect the 416 will be a huge sales success. I doubt the pin thing will be a deal-breaker for anyone who was seriously considering buying one.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARin View Post
    hk continues to underwhelm.
    No kidding.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I am persuaded that the "German law" argument is little more than an incredibly disappointing attempt to justify a corporate production decision. HK could have delivered a semiautomatic 416 as advertised had they wanted to; instead, they offered us the world market MR223 with a flash suppressor. No thank you at half the price.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i have a headache.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So, let me try to get this straight:
    • We don't like the rifle because the lower receiver isn't an AR15 TDP standardized part?

Personally to me, I view this as a whole other rifle entirely. Much like how the SCAR is wholly different from an AR15. This is a different breed of rifle, and with it comes different parts. With that in mind, the lower not being compatible with my Bushmaster doesn't really phase me.

My only complaint is the price (which we know will be high), and the lackluster selection of barrel lengths.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast