Thread: 6.8spc bags 6th deer

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

6.8spc bags 6th deer

Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving to all. We all have much to be thankful for.

After a great week of hunting, I'm pleased to note that the 6.8spc cartridge seems to live up to its reputation. I've always enjoyed shooting my AR15 and now can enjoy it deer hunting as well. So far this season, 6 shots took 6 deer. 3 have been donated to the local "hunters for the hungry" and 3 are in the freezer for the family. I used three different loads and the EOTech sure allows for quick sight acquisition.

Feedback Score
    Nice Job. Have you, by chance, used any 110 gr. TSX or 115 gr. Matchkings on deer?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    No Sir, Although I think they would be a terrific choice for a deer bullet.

The SSA Pro Hunter appears to be the best from my experience. The Hornady VMax does not get enough penetration for deer and the Hornady BTHP appears to overpenetrate without the degree of expansion seen with the Pro Hunter - A Sierra design. Ultimately, its all about shot placement.

Feedback Score
    I've taken 3 deer with the 6.8. Used 3 loads.

1: Hornady V-Match. Dropped the deer very quick, but the bullet was coiming apart on exit.

2: SMK. Worked very well, very accurate load. Exit wound was nice and large, and I think the bullet had remained intact. Silver state loading

3: Hornady TSX. Best of them all. The exit wound was just nasty. Easily twice the size of the SMK exit wound. Silver state load

They all dropped the deer without any problems, but i feel that the vmatch might not be the best bullet for anything over say a 200lb deer. You may or may not get an exit wound. The vmatch works GREAT on coyotes though.