Thread: How bout this Upper 13.7/KX3 w/ 12" or 13" type rail?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

How bout this Upper 13.7/KX3 w/ 12" or 13" type rail?

Okay guys I'm gonna quote this from TOS when I asked the question there to keep from having to type it all out again so here it goes and tell me what you think. I am not opposed to buying a used barrel and having it chopped. Also as you'll see later...if anyone has any pix of a 13.7/KX3/13.0 or 13.5" rail please post it!

FIVEPOINTOH:

Okay got two AR's now and wanting a third but am going to start w/ an upper build first.

How's this sound and I'm going to need some recommendations....and it's not gonna be cheap either

Buy a good used barrel of any length (gov't profile) and have it chopped to 13.7"
    Then have a KX3 perm. attached to bring it to 16.1"
    Then go w/ either a DD or Larue 9.0 or 12.0 (can't decide)

I would really like to go w/ a 12.0 b/c I think this would look slick but I've only seen pix of this config using a 9.0 (look up Noveske Infidel upper)

Any pix would be appreciated.

I would then (as money allowed) add BUIS/Aimpoint, but would probably just throw my M2 on it for the time being.

I would then mate this upper to w Colt lower w/ a CTR stock and throw on a TD vert grip

How's it sound???....and don't be shy to post pix!!!!

some ppl replied then I typed

FIVEPOINTOH

13" would be cool.

Can you buy an infidel barrel w/out buying it as a complete upper? I can't find just the barrel on the Noveske site. Question though...PK Firearms has a 13.5" Troy rail for the same price as the 13" Troy on Troy's website

Troy 13" rail - $285
    Used barrel - $160-200
    Troy Lo Pro Gas block - $30
    KX3 - $125
    CMT upper receiver - $100
    Gas tube and pin - $11.50
    Used TD VFG - $45-50
    BCG - $130

Shop services to be cut down to 13.7", perm attach KX3 and install all other things (taken from Randall's site) -
    Shorten and Thread - $45
    Perm attach - $20
    Tear down and re-assemble - $40

Damn I'm afraid to add this up

Total w/ out BUIS or Optic or Rail Covers for Upper - $961.50 (that's minimum price)

Take it one step at a time I guess. Then again...if it's a Troy rail can't I add the FF after the KX3 was perm. attached...so therefore I could get everything but the Troy rail and get it when money allowed and put it on myself. Only problem is I would have to go ahead and do it all at once b/c of the gas block...which wouldn't allow me to get by w/ just regular handguards.

ScoutII spoke up and answered one of my questions
    yes tou can buy the infidel barrel by itself. They are just not listed on the web site, but NFA rules apply if you order it.

Then Randall (AR15barrels.com) chimed in
    I charge $25 to build the upper if you send a box of parts.
    $40 is if I have to take it apart AND put it back together.

Then I replied
    well then...I like the sounds of that

Thanks Randall and it'll be awhile but I'll probably be getting ahold of you if I have to end up chopping a barrel. How would an M4 profile barrel look chopped to 13.7? Just wondering if I would have to get something besides an M4 profile b/c of the notch in the barrel?

So anyways...That's where I stand right now and looking for more opinions. I think it would look sweet and add plenty of real estate and versatility w/ not being too short but not at all long either. My other two AR's are a 14.5" and a 20" and I've had a 16" so this would be a good substitute and my shortest AR to date while keeping it legal in the IL....and no one say get a 14.5" or 16" middy b/c that's after this build! Thanks guys!!!
    Professional Babysitter

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i was contemplating the same build. I have the upper built just haven't gotten a chance to have Randall cut the barrel down to install the KX3. Post a pic once you have it done.