Thread: New Barnes TAC-X all copper bullets

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

New Barnes TAC-X all copper bullets

Part of their new Mil/LE line (available to civilians). Does anybody know if anyone will be offering these bullets in a factory load? I'm looking forward to hearing about these in the future.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...t-bullet-line/

Barnes is introducing an all-new line of M/LE bullets designed for military, law enforcement, and training use. Based on technology Barnes developed for military applications, these new bullets fill a niche in the fast-growing civilian Tactical market. Many are excellent choices for personal or home defense.

Barnes’ new RRLP (Reduced Ricochet, Limited Penetration) bullets feature a frangible, powdered-metal copper-tin core inside a guilding metal jacket. The bullets are lead-free—often a requirement in military and LE practice environments. These open-tip bullets won’t come apart in mid-air, even at very high velocities and extreme rates of spin. They combine accuracy with explosive fragmentation, and won’t destroy steel practice targets.

Frangible bullets lacking a protective jacket tend to break apart inside autoloading rifles. A major selling point for RRLP bullets is that they remain intact under the rigors of autoloader feeding and firing. They eliminate the primary cause of jammed actions and plugged barrels often experienced in firing frangible ammunition.

RRLP bullets include a 55-grain 5.56mm (.224”) bullet designed for military-style autoloaders and other firearms with rifling twist rates of 1:9” or faster. A 140-grain 7.62mm (.308”) version is intended for tactical autoloaders and bolt-action rifles with 1:12” or faster twists. There’s also a 108-grain (.310”) RRLP for 7.62×39mm rifles. These multi-purpose bullets are designed for shooting steel targets, competition, plinking, hunting and home defense.

All-copper TAC-X™ rifle bullets have a proven reputation for accuracy. They’re designed for controlled double-diameter expansion, maximum penetration and full functionality at long range. Straighter tracking through barriers and better weight retention than with lead-core bullets. Available in 55, 62 and 70-grain 5.56mm (.224”); 85 and 110-grain 6.8mm (.277”); 110, 150 and 168-grain .308”, and 123-grain 7.62×39mm (.310”) weights and calibers.

Designed for law enforcement and personal defense, 100-percent copper TAC-XP™ pistol bullets meet the requirements of lead-free practice environments. They maintain their original weight and track straight after being fired through intermediate barriers like car doors, plywood and automobile windshield glass. Available in .380 ACP, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 SIG, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 GAP and .45 ACP calibers.

TAC-LR™ Long Range bullets are manufactured with state-of-the-art precision CNC equipment from pure, free machining brass. A high ballistic coefficient, precise tolerances and exceptional accuracy make this the ideal projectile for extreme long-range shots. Available in 50 BMG.
    Last edited by RAM Engineer; 01-16-09 at 16:00. Reason: fixing tags

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Loaded ammo info here.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...ed-ammunition/
    Not listed on the black hills website yet.

Does not say it's the RRLP bullet on this site but the Barnes site does.
    http://www.ssarmory.com/556ammunition-2-3.aspx
    Last edited by nfranco; 01-17-09 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

dout it but.......

Ifr they are then it will be anounced at SHOT

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nfranco View Post
    Loaded ammo info here.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...ed-ammunition/
    Not listed on the black hills website yet.

Does not say it's the RRLP bullet on this site but the Barnes site does.
    http://www.ssarmory.com/556ammunition-2-3.aspx
    I'm not interested in the RRLP bullets, but rather the TAC-X which I see in exactly ONE load on Barnes page you linked:

Federal Premium LE/Personal Defense 223 Rem 55-gr TAC-X.

If it works as advertised, some NATO pressured TAC-X ammo would be nice...

The TAC-X bullet sound like Barnes is chasing the "barrier-blind" bullet concept espoused by Dr. Roberts. Besides the new Trijicon 1x4 scope, this is probably the most interesting non-gun product I've heard of recently.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Oops

My error, my brain skipped your thread title.
    That Trijicon scope has my attention as well.