Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cast lead .223?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

cast lead .223?

anybody ever shoot cast lead in your AR?.

results?

thanks -

Feedback Score

Cast Lead Rifle Loads

Bigshooter,
    I have shot some cast lead bullets in .223 Rem, but not through an AR...With even the hardest cast lead bullets velocities are usually kept in the 2200-2300FPS range. Accuracy was good out of a Remington Bolt gun...but in my experience the hassles involved far outweighed the benefits. Especially when one can buy cheap factory seconds in bulk from Sierra.

The link below might offer you some good insight for more modern data as my own experiments with cast lead rifle bullets were conducted some twenty plus years ago.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    thanks for the reply.

my thought stems from the possiblity of the .gov crowd either taxing or regulating reloading out of existance in the future, distant hopefully.

atleast if I had something to cast with it wouldn't stop me from keeping projectiles on hand.

just wondering if it is a feasable investment.

thanks.

Feedback Score

Swaging

You can actually buy swaging equipment and produce Jacketed bullets from spent .22 LR Casings. Thats how Hornady Bullets got started.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last edited by bkb0000; 01-17-09 at 15:32.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    don't really have $2000.00 to drop on the equipment.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
    don't really have $2000.00 to drop on the equipment.
    put it on a credit card- your bank's gonna fail before you can pay it off anyway.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would think that lead bullets would clog the gas port.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There's really no reason to be trying to shoot lead projectiles in the AR. Some ape on TOS claimed to be melting down tire balancing weights and casting bullets for .223. Not surprising considering I read about a moron who wanted to use a cement/mortar mixer to tumble brass over there a few days ago.

I remember looking at the numbers on the .22 rimfire brass bullet making nonsense. It was completely silly, and on top of it all, the bullets that they guy made weren't accurate for shit.
    Last edited by markm; 01-19-09 at 13:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    bigshooter I am new here and fairly new to the AR scene but have just worked out a load to shoot cast boolits from my Colt AR.

I cast using wheel weight alloy in this RCBS mold. Sizing to 225 and using Hornady gas checks and Lars Carnuba Red lube. Each projectile weighs about 85 grains when finished. I have only loaded and shot about 50 or so. Just trying to work up a load that fires, feeds, and extracts. No leading yet but I am currently loading another batch to run through the gun.

The nice thing is I figure my cost per projectile is about $.03 or .04. with what I paid for my wheel weights, lube and gas checks. Of course there are other costs (i.e., mold, sizer, electricity, propane, etc). I enjoy doing it!

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast