Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cast lead .223?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Shit! Those bullets look good!

You dang hill billys have some skills from time to time!

But I still wouldn't shoot them in my AR. I'd shoot the equalized number of Jacketed bullets. If it meant me shooting half as much, then so be it.

But good job on those.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    nice!

I'm very interested in hearing your assessment after further testing.

thanks for posting!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    There's really no reason to be trying to shoot lead projectiles in the AR. Some ape on TOS claimed to be melting down tire balancing weights and casting bullets for .223. Not surprising considering I read about a moron who wanted to use a cement/mortar mixer to tumble brass over there a few days ago.

I remember looking at the numbers on the .22 rimfire brass bullet making nonsense. It was completely silly, and on top of it all, the bullets that they guy made weren't accurate for shit.
    Ever have to process 10,000 cases a week? Cement mixer or industrial tumbler is the only route.

Feedback Score

Linotype

[QUOTE=markm;291557] Some ape on TOS claimed to be melting down tire balancing weights and casting bullets for .223.

Tire weights are a linotype metal and mixed with lead to harden the bullets and also to help improve the castability of the poured alloy.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rat31465 View Post
    Tire weights are a linotype metal and mixed with lead to harden the bullets and also to help improve the castability of the poured alloy.
    That's cool. I still can't see the sense in it for the AR platform. Real bullets aren't that expensive to buy. But if people just like to do it.... cheers.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Real bullets aren't that expensive to buy
    YET(if you can even find them)

the reason I started this thread is to try and find an alternative projectile, for when the jacketed ones get banned/taxed/or serialized.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12