Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berry's Bullets?

Feedback Score

Berry's Bullets?

Are these any good?

I'm looking for plain-jane M1 Carbine bullets, and Berry's are $94/1,000, shipped.

I can't find bullets any cheaper, anywhere.

Please advise,

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I use them for 9 and 45. They do the trick. I've loaded thousands of them.

They might be a twat hair less accurate than regular jacketed ammo, but the price diff is well worth it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have tried them in 9mm .45 and .44. The .45’s shot very nice. The 9’s were horrible but I haven’t found a plated bullet yet that shot worth a damn in my Glock. In the .44 they shot like crap at first until I backed off on the crimp.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've had decent performance in my 9mm glock. I'm using the 124 grain flat nose plated bullets on top of 4.3 grains of WW231.

Feedback Score
    I haven't been impressed with them, accuracy wise. Does Montana Gold make a bullet for the application you'd be using them for? I like those much better.

Feedback Score
    I've since heard from elsewhere on the errornet that "plated" bullets are a bad idea for rifle rounds, and that I should stick with "jacketed" bullets for .30 carbine.

I'm not too concerned about accuracy out of my ratty old M1 Carbine, but I don't want to deal with a lot of copper in the barrel or bullets coming apart, either.

I'm still thinking about this, though...

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I've since heard from elsewhere on the errornet that "plated" bullets are a bad idea for rifle rounds, and that I should stick with "jacketed" bullets for .30 carbine.

I'm not too concerned about accuracy out of my ratty old M1 Carbine, but I don't want to deal with a lot of copper in the barrel or bullets coming apart, either.

I'm still thinking about this, though...

Bimmer
    It depends on how fast you are pushing them. Most plated manufacturers say to stay below 1200fps, but I've pushed some Berry's faster than that and they didn't come apart or do anything weird.

Jacketed will still probably behave better for you though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SMJayman View Post
    It depends on how fast you are pushing them. Most plated manufacturers say to stay below 1200fps...
    This is the problem... .30 Carbine is typically 2,000fps or more.

I don't doubt that these are fine for pistols (I use cast lead in my Glocks), but I'm hesitant to use them for .30 Carbine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    This is the problem... .30 Carbine is typically 2,000fps or more.

I don't doubt that these are fine for pistols (I use cast lead in my Glocks), but I'm hesitant to use them for .30 Carbine.
    Well Berry's says not to push their .30 Carbine bullets any faster than 1600:

http://www.berrysmfg.com/338.php

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMJayman View Post
    I haven't been impressed with them, accuracy wise. Does Montana Gold make a bullet for the application you'd be using them for? I like those much better.
    I shot some of both a few weeks back. I didn't print any on paper, but both were capable of hitting the 10 inch plate at 30 yards out of my G17.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast