Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What frame for a 1911 build

Feedback Score

What frame for a 1911 build

So I'm starting to get some parts (after Christmas) for a 1911 build and am considering either a RRA railed frame or a Caspian frame.
    Advantages? Price isn't a concern here (well, I can take more time to save up) but this will be a hard use gun. Many of the parts I picked are the same as Grant's part list in fact.

For those that think I should attempt to build a hard use gun myself, I know, but building it is part of the fun for me, and I have no problem replacing small parts or worst case, sending it off to YoBo or something to get fixed....
    Thanks
    I'd also like any other advice, parts recommendations etc...

eta: forgot to ask, is getting the muzzle flush cut worth it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    I'm not sure what you'll gain from it other than aesthetic capital.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq47
    I'm not sure what you'll gain from it other than aesthetic capital.
    From an accuracy point of view - nothing. But it does give the crown a little more protection from damage and, as you mentioned, some like the look of it.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking it may offer some protection to the crown...aesthetically, I don't really care either way.
    Anybody have any experience with the Caspian vs. RRA frames?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    I think so, but merely for cosmetic reasons.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    IMHO, I would prefer the RRA forged frame to the Caspian cast frame. I know that the cast frame is plenty strong and isn't an issue but if I were starting from scratch I would go forged. I also prefer the checkering on the RRA pistols.

I am having the muzzle flush cut on my Wilson to help protect it but I like the way it looks as well.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    thanks for the info, I'm actually thinking of having 'golf balls' done instead of checkering but I haven't decided yet either....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you're going to get the golfball treatment, consider letting Chuck do the high cut as well. It seems like the RRA frame already comes with a high cut, as does the Caspian Basic. A Caspian "Classic A1" configuration might be worth consideration.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinh
    If you're going to get the golfball treatment, consider letting Chuck do the high cut as well. It seems like the RRA frame already comes with a high cut, as does the Caspian Basic. A Caspian "Classic A1" configuration might be worth consideration.
    Would this be Chuck Rogers of Rogers Precision?
    If so, he's actually sending me a MSH with a sample of the golfball treatment so I can feel them before I get any work done...hopefully, if I decide to do it, he will be accepting orders again by the time I'm ready to send it off!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Would this be Chuck Rogers of Rogers Precision?
    If so, he's actually sending me a MSH with a sample of the golfball treatment so I can feel them before I get any work done...hopefully, if I decide to do it, he will be accepting orders again by the time I'm ready to send it off!
    If you are already in dialogue with him and want a 1911 built from the ground up then ask him about the frame you like. I have read where Hilton Yam discussed base pistols as a starting point where he favors the Colt 1991A1. If you want the integral rail rather than the Dawson component the choices are as you know more limited.
    "The war against this enemy is more than a military conflict. It is the decisive ideological struggle of the 21st century and the calling of our generation." George W. Bush

Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast