Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use gloves while shooting?

Feedback Score

Question Anyone use gloves while shooting?

does anyone use gloves while shooting? i have a condition on my hands called eczyma on my hands, which causes severe dry skin and cracking. it only affects my hands in the winter, but it's pretty painful. so i have to use alot of lotion and stuff to protect the skin on my hands and help ease the cracking and pain. well i can't do much shooting in the winter for two reason. first, the cold air drys my skin out quickly and causes more irritaion. second, if i use lotion then my hands are slippery and there's no use to trying to shoot.

so with that said, are there any gloves that can be use for shooting? i did a search on google and come up with some swat gloves... that's about all i could find. so i was wondering if there's anyone on the boards that may use gloves and can recommend a certian brand/type. also wondering if using gloves is completely un-heard of, and if i'll look like an a$$ out at the range. thanks for any help and suggestions.

- Jason

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    see this thread for a lot of options:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=2089

Also you can do a search of the tactical gear section of this forum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Crew
    does anyone use gloves while shooting? i have a condition on my hands called eczyma on my hands, which causes severe dry skin and cracking. it only affects my hands in the winter, but it's pretty painful. so i have to use alot of lotion and stuff to protect the skin on my hands and help ease the cracking and pain. well i can't do much shooting in the winter for two reason. first, the cold air drys my skin out quickly and causes more irritaion. second, if i use lotion then my hands are slippery and there's no use to trying to shoot.

so with that said, are there any gloves that can be use for shooting? i did a search on google and come up with some swat gloves... that's about all i could find. so i was wondering if there's anyone on the boards that may use gloves and can recommend a certian brand/type. also wondering if using gloves is completely un-heard of, and if i'll look like an a$$ out at the range. thanks for any help and suggestions.

- Jason
    Dont ever worry about looks while at the range...Let the gearwhores do that...

My father has the same condition, the tips of his fingers are always craked and bleeding. I am sure you have gone through all the finger condom stuff and Px lotions, etc....

1st thing that came to mind was to load up all your mags prior so while at range, the wear and tear will come from shooting and mag changes. Mag's are crazy cheap these days, so stock up if you haven't and before the dems take them away and prices go through the roof.

If you need some gloves still, They make good soft one's that will maintain the dexterity you'll want. Some .mil flight gloves work for me when I need gloves, but they make better more expensive ones as well.

Good luck, let us know what you go with.
    “For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Crew

- Jason
    I swear by these:
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/hatch.html

Shooting in any condition often calls for gloves, so don't worry about what gear whores think, all they care about is looking cool. Function rarely follows form.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As these guys have said gloves are great. They take a little getting used to and are a bit slippery on my Glock. Skateboard tape fixes that in a snap.

They’re nice for shooting an AR too, especially if you're using an A2 grip. Gloves stop that blister from forming on your middle finger from the trigger guard.

And like these guys said, wear what works. I don't use the latest high speed gloves. I use my dirt bike gloves. They're comphy and cut to allow you to grab onto the throttle, very much like griping a pistol grip.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_C
    Dont ever worry about looks while at the range...Let the gearwhores do that...

My father has the same condition, the tips of his fingers are always craked and bleeding. I am sure you have gone through all the finger condom stuff and Px lotions, etc....

1st thing that came to mind was to load up all your mags prior so while at range, the wear and tear will come from shooting and mag changes. Mag's are crazy cheap these days, so stock up if you haven't and before the dems take them away and prices go through the roof.

If you need some gloves still, They make good soft one's that will maintain the dexterity you'll want. Some .mil flight gloves work for me when I need gloves, but they make better more expensive ones as well.

Good luck, let us know what you go with.
    thanks for the suggestions on the mags. that's exactly what i do with my glock mags before i go shooting. so i'll defenitely check into buying some more ar mags. also, the links provided from everyone has taken my search in the right direction and i'm sure i'll make a decision this weekend. i'll post back and let everyone know the results.

btw... i've been over at ar15.com for a few weeks, and i have to say that i like this board alot more. it looks better, has full function without a membership, and everyone on here is very helpful. there's a big difference in attitudes on this board compared to ar15.com. just my observation... and since i'm new on both forums... i think it's pretty unbiased. thanks again.

- Jason

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a lifelong eczema sufferer also, so I know what you mean. I recently found this stuff, which is the best hand cream I've ever used, by far.
    Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion-

http://www.chattem.com/whatsnew/gb-ultimate.asp

My hands crack and bleed every winter, and exposure to Gunscrubber will make them bleed for weeks anytime I'm around it.
    The GB is well worth trying. It's worked better than prescription drugs for me.

As for gloves- try the Neumann receiver gloves-
    http://www.hitrunscore.com/fbr-neuma...er-gloves.html

They have "tackified" leather, which lets you hold on to things better. They're well made, relatively cheap, and for some reason, I find them to be warmer than they ought to be. I got a black set at Dick's sporting goods and used a Sharpie to black out the white lettering. They have lasted for years.
    I originally bought them because a lot of the SWAT guy had them, and were happy with them. They are the only gloves I'm comfortable to shoot with.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You don't even have to spend a bundle on the latest greatest black and velcro cowboy cool guy gloves...I use Mechanix gloves year round...$16-19 at Auto Zone...lightweight and thin enough to run about any drill you can think of...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You should always use gloves that have leather on the inside. If you wear a cloth or wool lined glove they will absorb the oils that you need on your hands.

I use black baseball batting gloves.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run the standard Nomex flight gloves -- dirt cheap and protective (althought I worry about fire primarily.)

They have leather palms /inner of the fingers -- but ANY glove will soak up the oils from your skin --

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast