Thread: Handguard Questions

Feedback Score

Handguard Questions

I have 2 AR's. AR#1 is a mid-length that has round handguards and a handguard cap that looks like this...

AR#2 is an M4gery and has oval shaped, double shielded handguards with a handguard cap that looks like this...

I really like the look and feel of the oval shaped handguards on my M4gery, and I like the extra protection of them being double-shielded. I'd like to replace the handguards on my middy to a similar type. Does anyone make an oval shaped, double shielded, mid-length set of handguards that will fit the handguard cap in the first pic? If I had to give up the double-shielded part I could, but I really like the feel of the oval shape.

Links would be greatly appreciated.
    ••••••••••••••••••••
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I can't remember if the Cav Arms midlength M4 type handguards have double heat shields or not.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I can't remember if the Cav Arms midlength M4 type handguards have double heat shields or not.
    Nope, though they were closest I have come searching on my own to what I'm looking for.
    ••••••••••••••••••••
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No double-shield midlength handguards that I have found.

FWIW, Cavarms makes several options.
    C6 Mid-Length – Non-tapered contour, approximately 8-5⁄8" (21.9cm) long, 2-9⁄16"(6.5cm) high, 2-3⁄8" (6cm) wide.
    C8 Mid-Length – Approximately 8-5⁄8" (21.9cm) long, 2-9⁄16" (6.5cm) external diameter at widest point, 2” (5.1cm) external diameter at narrowest point.

C8 tapers, C6 doesn't.

For reference, a typical M4 handguard is approximately 6-5⁄8" (16.8cm) long, 2-5⁄8" (6.6cm) external diameter at widest point, 2-3⁄16" (5.6cm) external diameter at narrowest point.

Comparing hte C8 to the M4, and accounting for the added length of the C8, you can see that they follow much the same profile, with the C8 ending up narrower due to the added length.

What I'd really love to find is a double-shield midlength that begins at 2 5/8" and finishes at 2 3/16", therefore having less of a taper but ending at the wider diameter I like from the M4.

(all dimensions taken from the Brownells Cavarms handguard page)

C8s on BCM upper.
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-26-09 at 06:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    No double-shield midlength handguards that I have found.

FWIW, Cavarms makes several options.
    C6 Mid-Length – Non-tapered contour, approximately 8-5⁄8" (21.9cm) long, 2-9⁄16"(6.5cm) high, 2-3⁄8" (6cm) wide.
    C8 Mid-Length – Approximately 8-5⁄8" (21.9cm) long, 2-9⁄16" (6.5cm) external diameter at widest point, 2” (5.1cm) external diameter at narrowest point.

C8 tapers, C6 doesn't.

For reference, a typical M4 handguard is approximately 6-5⁄8" (16.8cm) long, 2-5⁄8" (6.6cm) external diameter at widest point, 2-3⁄16" (5.6cm) external diameter at narrowest point.

Comparing hte C8 to the M4, and accounting for the added length of the C8, you can see that they follow much the same profile, with the C8 ending up narrower due to the added length.

What I'd really love to find is a double-shield midlength that begins at 2 5/8" and finishes at 2 3/16", therefore having less of a taper but ending at the wider diameter I like from the M4.

(all dimensions taken from the Brownells Cavarms handguard page)

C8s on BCM upper.

Rob,
    That's good info. Does the C8 have the oval shape I'm looking for? If so, it sounds like it may be as close as I'm going to find.
    Last edited by frogger; 01-26-09 at 07:36.
    ••••••••••••••••••••

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yes, at the delta ring the C8 is taller than it is wide.

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking you'd want the C6's. I believe you have the equivalent of C8's already on your ML.

Remove them and measure the "ovality" at the end cap and the delta ring. You should find they alreday are a bit oval, taller than they are wide.

The C6's are just a larger diameter overall, closer to M4 HGs you have on your M4gery.