Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Med section?

Feedback Score
    I like this idea. My state requires that all LE are first responder certified, and let me tell you it has been some of the most used specialized training Ive had.

-DM-

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I would greet the new section very eagerly. I was a paramedic over two decades ago, so my skills are pretty out of date. I have been trying to find the time to do a WEMT class, and start the training cycle over again.

This is another great idea, Rob. Thanks for thinking of it!

Feedback Score
    This is an outstanding idea...
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    Very timely. Tomorrow I will be at the police station surrounded by 16 LEOs as the only civilian in the Certified First Medical Responder course.

Add me to those interested in such a section.
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don't see a problem with it and with 2 Docs on here and some EMT folks as well it would be a good addition.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    It would be very worthwhile. If you haven't taken BLS/CPR you definitely should. I'd consider first-responder as well. A short EMT-B(asic) program at a local community college (if you offer to volunteer with the local fire dept. they might even pay your tuition). The training and experience gleaned from 1 8-hour shift a week could yield huge dividends down the road especially if you can take a PHTLS (Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support) class which is not only a medical class, but includes some amount of tactical information as well.

I'd split up self-aid from buddy-aid techniques as you won't be suing yourself. I hate to harp on this, but people need to consider it just as they need to consider the implications of carrying a firearm.

Military medics have liability protection from the government (even if they totally screw up) so their scope of practice can be much broader than civilian medics. In short most lay people (within reach of 911) who might read the board really have no business attempting advanced lifesaving techniques on another unless there is no other option but death.

Likewise it should contain information on legal protections and educate people about tort law and potential consequences of their actions. It's somewhat akin to being involved in a shooting...and even under the best of circumstances can be an expensive proposition...even (and especially) for trained professionals.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-27-09 at 12:01.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i dont see how EM discussion could generate too much more liability than tactics training.. i mean, we often discuss the best ways to KILL people here, afterall.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    i dont see how EM discussion could generate too much more liability than tactics training.. i mean, we often discuss the best ways to KILL people here, afterall.
    The discussion itself isn't the issue. If someone actually uses it on someone and then ends up causing harm, he might say as a legal defense "well I read it on m4carbine..." Before you know it, the board and any medical professional who offered advice is either deposed or becomes co-respondent in a suit.

I'm not saying it's inevitable but good samaritan protections are being continually eroded by a litigious society.

Medical personnel get extensive training on medical torts and if people are going to learn those techniques, than they must also be informed of the potential liability. Even if it works out in your favor, it still might cost you thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-27-09 at 12:40.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The same thing could be said about most of what is discussed here though, so it's not unique to medical issues.

"M4carbine told me that shotguns were outdated for home defense, so it's not my fault I shot my neighbor through the wall with a 5.56".

(not saying any of the above is an accurate statement, just using it to illustrate the point)

I'd hate to see a potentially informative part of the site, that could draw in more members (and more importantly, more qualified members), bet mired in legal worries.

Feedback Score
    Much of the tort concern can be alleviated by citing a competent reference for recommendations posted here.

Complete tort concern can not be eliminated. If you shoot someone in SD or you help someone in an emergency, you are exposing yourself to tort law.

You must decide for yourself, but for me, I cannot stand by if I can be of service, even if it brings me injustice. That's one of the reasons I am currently taking a course to become a Certified First Medical Responder.

Post a note when the section is available. I will contribute where I am able.
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast