Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Med section?

Feedback Score
    I believe such a forum would add considerable value. We tend to focus on the firearms aspect of training, even though we are far more likely to need medical training in our day to day lives.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The same thing could be said about most of what is discussed here though, so it's not unique to medical issues.

"M4carbine told me that shotguns were outdated for home defense, so it's not my fault I shot my neighbor through the wall with a 5.56".
    I agree, it's VERY informative and should be done, but part of that information process is understanding the consequences if you f*(k up. I don't think legal issues should stop this, I just think it needs to be included in the whole knowledge base. It ain't sexy, but it is important. Please believe me when I say that I genuinely see the need and support the creation of such a forum. But it's no substitute for formal training. If you shoot, you need medical training...period.

FirstI unlike home defense, in EMS there are groups of medical professionals that establish protocols and other standards of care. Paramedics for instance don't perform medicine themselves, they work under the "command" of a Doctor even if not in direct contact. "Command" in EMS means that he's given the paramedic authority to practice emergency medicine under his license. Even if the Paramedic acts in a manner consistent with these standards/protocols he can still be sued. If there is any deviation from those standards, then he will be held liable.

Second these medical standards vary from state-to-state and hospital to hospital. So what I may view as standard practice in PA, might be viewed as archaic or even too aggressive in California.

Lastly In the shooting scenario you mentioned it's your life in jeopardy, whereas in EMS it's a patient's life that's in jeopardy. I know it seems like an arbitrary distinction, but it only seems that way.

If it's self-aid that we're discussing than we can be much more aggressive in discussing techniques. When you start practicing on another caution is required. "Good Samaritans" meaning people without any training who through the best of intentions kill someone are given more liability protection than a medical professional and they can and are sued...often.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-27-09 at 13:14.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    From my own standpoint, self aid is WAY more interesting to me than helping others outside my immediate family. There are very few scenarios, if any, where I can see myself rendering aid to someone I don't now well enough to know that they aren't going to sue me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    I agree, it's informative and should be done, but part of that information process is understanding the consequences if you f*(k up. I don't think legal issues should stop this, I just think it needs to be included in the whole knowledge base. It ain't sexy, but it is important. Please believe me when I say that I genuinely see the need and support the creation of such a forum.
    John- I understand and appreciate your concerns, but I think you're overthinking the issue a bit. As noted by others, one can expose themselves to liability just as readily through discussion of legal matters, tactics, and the like as they can whether or not to place which kind of TK, why relieving a ptx should be BLS, or what IFAK to carry and how to load it.

Look at the better sites with TEMS/EMS/etc forums and you'll find that they've adequately address issues with good moderators, good contributors, and an eye on what you've referenced.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Getting off the topic at hand...I apologize.

People should be interested and should get training.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-27-09 at 15:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm very interested in this type of section on the board. I'm currently signed up for a course offered locally that is going to go over the basics and a limited amount of trauma info. I'm also looking to get as much info as possible (taking courses off base and on base). I'll admit, my liklihood of needing any of this info is slim (except for the occasional boo-boos at the gun club ), but it'd be nice to have.

Feedback Score
    Anyone have a link or two available for courses, by state, that stresses combat first aid/self aid?
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 01-27-09 at 17:02.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Count me in... I kinda of put a bug in Rob's ear this weekend for the section.

I think we have a number of EMS types here that could contribute and make for some interesting discussion.
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    Ambrose Redmoon

Feedback Score
    If we have analyzed this enough, how do we get started?
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    In addition to First-Aid Skills/Gear, would it make sense to include "Survival Skills" and/or "Field Craft" under a heading?

Sort of like AR General, AR Technical etc...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast