Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone attempt large amount of weight loss?

Feedback Score

Anyone attempt large amount of weight loss?

I used to ride bmx and skateboard and all that until I was injured from "going big" so many times that my insurance (and parents too) said that I wouldn't be covered anymore.

After this I basically entered the highschool/college party/do nothing phase and for lack of putting it any more bluntly became a fatass.

During this time I finished my degree and work at a desk on computers/servers all day long...so that doesn't help. Recently I've been wanting to lose this weight.

Im 6'1" and weigh 295 (I know, fatass...right?) but wanted to see if anyone here has overcome this before.

I don't eat junk food really at all, I think it's the pepsi etc that gets me. Lately since I got married and got our own place and money is tighter I have been cooking a lot more and I know that's a step away from eating out so much. Last week I made homemade chicken noodle soup, homemade asian chicken noodles, and also made some beef tips.

I've been contemplating working out like I used to in high school, time is just very pressing and I figured I could start with a diet first.

Any tips/suggestions?

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Fast is good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Any tips/suggestions?
    Patience, perseverance, and 1200-1500 calories per day. Thirty minutes per day of a good cardio exercise is also encouraged.
    Just one of the Shepherd's sheepdogs. Joshua 24:15

Feedback Score
    Ive read that muscle burns fat, so the more lean mustle you can build, the more fat you will burn. If you dont like running I strongly suggest Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. 5 minutes of "rolling" in this sport will make you feel like you ran miles. No joke.

Cutting out the pepsi and drinking water instead will be a tremendous help. You could probably lose more weight than you think by just cutting the soda out of your diet.

Also, decrease the size of your daily meals and increase the number of meals you eat. This will increase your metabolism. Breakfast is a must. If you dont have time, have a protien shake.

Good luck.

B
    Last edited by Dr.Doom; 01-27-09 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    Replace two of your daily meals with a lowcalorie shake and a bowl of quality cereal. Take your free time and walk, ride a bike to work if possible. You need to burn more calories than you eat. I dropped 60 pounds training for the military. I went from being a solid 215 lifting weights to a lean mean fighting machine of 155 by cutting calories and dlrunning and swimming in about three months. You can do it but it takes commitment and not buying bullshit at the grocery store...ATC

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    It's what we've all had to deal with as we get older. I'm mildly hypoglycemic so that's another issue for some of us. Having come from a family of great cooks, I learned to enjoy good food and how to make it. I eat well, but ultimately healthy. I have low cholesterol but that may be due to my genes.

Take it slow, ease yourself into a routine, there is no rush and you don't want to get hurt. Take the first month and just stretch and get flexible and take a long walk. After that month you can commit to a more intensive workout regime.

You're making the right choices in terms of diet (though you may want to cut the noodles). Eating like a rabbit isn't a realistic solution for most of us. Learning to cook is the way to go and you'll learn to make meals you enjoy that are healthy. I love to cook and have years of good recipes (that just happen to be good for you) so if you like some type of food let me know and I'll send you some.

Ditch the soda, that's diabetes in a can. Having one a week isn't a big deal. Having 2 a day is. Giving up coke classic was a bitch.

Eat a lot of salad but ditch the store-bought dressing. You can make a variety of vinagrettes, depending on your tastes, from a basic formula. 2/3 part oil (olive, veg), 1/3 acid (vinegar, citrus) and throw in some garlic, salt, pepper to taste. Using red-wine and/or balsamic vinegar you can add a teaspoon of dijon mustard to thicken it and give it bite. You don't even have to refrigerate if you keep it covered.

Avoid anything in a supermarket marked "low-fat" (yes I did say that). Invariably this means they took out fat and added sugar...usually some gawdawful synthetic sugar nonsense.

Don't be afraid to eat satisfying foods. Just cut down on portion size. Pick one night a week for you and your wife to go out and enjoy a good meal...then split it between you.

If you like to drink, stick to red wine. It's good for you and will help with your cholesterol if that's an issue.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-27-09 at 10:16.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AirTrafficControl View Post
    Replace two of your daily meals with a lowcalorie shake and a bowl of quality cereal. Take your free time and walk, ride a bike to work if possible. You need to burn more calories than you eat. I dropped 60 pounds training for the military. I went from being a solid 215 lifting weights to a lean mean fighting machine of 155 by cutting calories and dlrunning and swimming in about three months. You can do it but it takes commitment and not buying bullshit at the grocery store...ATC
    I eat cheerios with a banana sliced over it every morning now, I enjoy it.

Im thinking the pepsi will be the biggest cut, as I drink far too much. I have to tend to my wife right now, so any exercising will likely take place in home (she's very very very sick right now). I figure I can do sit ups, crunches, push ups while we're together in the evening after kiddo goes to sleep.

I don't smoke or drink so that's a plus...I just hate the taste of salad (ha).
    Last edited by Kaos; 01-27-09 at 10:15.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Veg. in general? or just leafy greens?

Salad doesn't have to be lettuce. Bean salads, tomato salads, slaws all kinds of variations on the theme.

Your mom was right...eat your vegetables they go well with a nice steak.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-27-09 at 10:23.

Feedback Score
    I eat cheerios with a banana sliced over it every morning now, I enjoy it.

Im thinking the pepsi will be the biggest cut, as I drink far too much. I have to tend to my wife right now, so any exercising will likely take place in home (she's very very very sick right now). I figure I can do sit ups, crunches, push ups while we're together in the evening after kiddo goes to sleep.

Hope your wife gets better. And also, dont "ping pong." Its were you lose a bunch of weight and then add it on and this trend repeats over and over again. Its bad for your heart.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Veg. in general? or just leafy greens?

Salad doesn't have to be lettuce. Bean salads, tomato salads, slaws all kinds of variations on the theme.

Your mom was right...eat your vegetables they go well with a nice steak.
    I love veggies...carrots, celery, beans...I just hate lettuce/cabbage unless it's got chicken and possibly ranch on it...then I can tolerate it.

Im likely going to make vegatable soup either tomorrow or thursday.

I'll have to start poking around some recipes online.

eta: just made lunch - chicken with some seasoning, some red potatoes cooked with the chicken and some rice. Hopefully it's a good start, wife went out to pick our daughter up from school and brought back some bottled water until the filter can be installed again. It starts today!
    Last edited by Kaos; 01-27-09 at 11:04.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I love veggies...carrots, celery, beans...I just hate lettuce/cabbage unless it's got chicken and possibly ranch on it...then I can tolerate it.

Im likely going to make vegatable soup either tomorrow or thursday.

I'll have to start poking around some recipes online.
    Consider grilling a lot as it's one of the healthiest ways to cook. Use a little spice rub on ribs or a chicken breast or a vinegar marinade on a steak and you've got a very healthy meal.

If you must have ranch on leafy greens, consider diluting it with a 2/3 oil, 1/3 vinegar mixture. You get the same flavor and minimize the calories. Avoid low-fat ranch like the plague. Get the real stuff.

Here's a favorite of mine...

Grilled Zucchini:

Cut a zuke diagonally into 1" thick slices. brush with olive oil and sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Grill 1-2 minutes a side. Sprinkle with lemon juice, serve.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast