Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is worse...

Feedback Score
    Being an ignorant/idiot if fixable. Just means a person lacks knowledge. Stupidity, however, cuts to the bone and is therefor undesirable. But a liar is one who lack integrity and thus the worst of the three.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    ...being an idiot or being a liar?
    Theres gotta be more to this, you got me interested, whats the deal?...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDL View Post
    Suppose it depends on how you attribute the question. In your example. I agree. In what I deal with everyday... I'd rather deal with people who lie over people act idiotic. Since... idiocy can get me killed.
    indeed.. i also work in an environment where someone's stupidity can get you killed or maimed (worse). a few of my boys are liars, but i'll kick an idiot off my jobsite faster than a liar can tell a lie.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Define worse.

Generally speaking a liar is worse, but then it also depends on the lie and the reason for telling it. We all tell white lies to get along in life. Sometimes harder lies are even necessary.

No one is 100% honest...not even with ourselves. As bkb said, stupidity is sometimes dangerous.

Sorry just being honest.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-28-09 at 21:58.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Define worse.

Generally speaking a liar is worse, but then it also depends on the lie and the reason for telling it. We all tell white lies to get along in life. Sometimes harder lies are even necessary.

No one is 100% honest...not even with ourselves.

Sorry just being honest.
    hmm.. when i hand the lady my coffee at the QuickiMart and she says "how are you?" i generally answer "tired," or "pretty crappy," or, if is the case, "ok, you?"

when a client asks "ok, but have you ever actually DONE this before?" if i haven't, i'll say "no, but i'm sure we can figure it out" if that's the case

when my mother asks me if i've been eating well, the answer is usually "nope, sorry mom."

but when my wife asks "do these jeans make my butt look fat?" i see your point.

"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law." - Kant

I think "white lies" are worse than big lies. a white lie shows a willingness to deceive even when it isn't necessary. at least a big lie generally has some kind of explaination and has been reasoned necessary by the person telling it. it's generally some scewed, self-serving misuse of utilitarian ethics, but it's not for nothing, wrong as it still may be.

my grandfather said "a lie is a lie is a lie," which is redneck for: if it's wrong to tell a lie while under an oath sworn on the Bible, it's equally wrong to lie to your 4 year old about why his hampster cage is now empty.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Liars are much worse!!

Idiots can at least be trusted for some things (I.E.: To make the same mistakes as they did before). Most idiots are at least doing their best. I would rather have someone who failed for trying, over someone who doesn't even try.

Liars can't be trusted for anything except to lie.
    Last edited by CarlosDJackal; 01-28-09 at 22:17.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    Most idiots are at least doing their best.
    My grand mother had a similar saying. "Mediocre people are always operating at there best".
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    But you have told a lie? At least one or two? Right?

Generally I presume that when a person asks me how I am, they don't really want to know. So the question in itself is a white lie. So when I say "fine", it's just a way of agreeing to maintain the pretense of civility. If someone asks for an opinion I'll give it to them. And yes I've told my wife that she shouldn't wear "certain" things.

But I don't need to tell my anti-gun liberal father-in-law, who also happens to be a Methodist preacher that I've got a small arsenal under the bed he's sleeping on when he asks "what's in the box?". That said he loves me like a son, and so I chose to respect his opinion and he choses to respect mine. We don't discuss the issue. It's not perfect, but nothing would be solved and the only possible outcome is hurt feelings so what's the point? He's similarly unaware that either of his children smoke cigarettes. I'll keep their secret as I would keep a secret of anything someone had told me in confidence, even if I have to evade a bit.

Is it perfect? No. Is it worse than say lying under oath? Meh. We've all done something similar.

I believe in honesty but I don't believe that anyone is 100% honest, all the time. I don't think this makes any of us anything other than human. That's not to accept dishonesty. Quite the contrary, integrity and honesty are synonymous, but as human beings we are all imperfect.

It's just that dishonesty is sometimes better and sometimes worse than stupidity.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-28-09 at 22:48.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    Liars are much worse!!

Idiots can at least be trusted for some things (I.E.: To make the same mistakes as they did before). Most idiots are at least doing their best. I would rather have someone who failed for trying, over someone who doesn't even try.

Liars can't be trusted for anything except to lie.
    Which make them trustworth and dependable. Also, idiots are NOT predictable.

This is causing some reflective and deep responses. I have a feeling rob is going to come out with a fart joke and have us all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post

anti-gun liberal father-in-law, who also happens to be a Methodist preacher
    I can't understand how you could be a preacher and be liberal. I know they are out there but isn't it a contradiction?
    Help our snipers in the war by donating please
    http://www.americansnipers.org/index.html

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast