Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is worse...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    But you have told a lie? At least one or two? Right?

Generally I presume that when a person asks me how I am, they don't really want to know. So the question in itself is a white lie. So when I say "fine", it's just a way of agreeing to maintain the pretense of civility. If someone asks for an opinion I'll give it to them. And yes I've told my wife that she shouldn't wear "certain" things.

But I don't need to tell my anti-gun liberal father-in-law, who also happens to be a Methodist preacher that I've got a small arsenal under the bed he's sleeping on when he asks "what's in the box?". That said he loves me like a son, and so I chose to respect his opinion and he choses to respect mine. We don't discuss the issue.

Is it worse than say lying under oath? Meh.

I believe in honesty but I don't believe that being 100% honest with people a

sure, i've told lies- and in direct violation of my own ethical code. and according to my ethical code, that's totally irrational behavior, and makes me a hypocrite. whether from laziness, or fear, or embarassment due to insecurites- even the best men cannot go a lifetime without telling lies. i guess the difference is whether you can admit the sin of it. i'll never justify a lie i've told- if i was willing to tell a lie, then i'm willing to accept the sin- willing to accept that i was wrong in doing so, rather than try to rationalize the necessity of it.

I'm a deontologist, and the categorical imperitive- "act only accordign to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law"- rules my moral decision making.
    Unfortunately, the prevailing ethical platform in this country is a kind of modified Utilitarianism where if "the ends justify the means," then it's ok. so we're a nation of liars and rationalizers. Ends do not justify means- means are, or should be, a direct reflection of the ends you strive to achieve.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norva View Post
    I can't understand how you could be a preacher and be liberal. I know they are out there but isn't it a contradiction?
    Not in the Methodist Church. But all in all, they were there for me when my parents died. I'm exceptionally lucky to have in-laws that care for me like I was their son. I don't need to rub my views in their faces. They know what they are.

If they only knew their daughter was now pretty handy with a Glock 19. Come to the dark side my pretty.

I guess it all boils down to intent.

If the intent to deceive is to manipulate others to serve your interests than that is without doubt worse than mere stupidity.

If the intent is to save another's feelings when there is nothing to be gained by the truth. Then I can let that slide.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    I lie on a daily basis. Part of my job.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    I'm a deontologist, and the categorical imperitive- "act only accordign to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law"- rules my moral decision making.
    *strums up the Monty Python Ohhhhh...Immanuel Kant was a real pissant...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_WRFJwGsbY

Seriously if you've told a lie, than it's simply a matter of degree. You obviously felt guilty, and that's good. It means you're an honest man, more importantly you're trying to be. Just like we all try, and sometimes fail. To acknowledge failure is not to acknowledge weakness. Quite the contrary it's a sign of strength.

I'm not trying to rationalize the necessity of it. I'm trying to demonstrate the reality of it. The question asked was whether it was worse to be a liar, or to be stupid.

All of us have lied at some point. Does that makes us all liars? By your standards, we are all liars. Maybe rightfully so.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-28-09 at 23:12.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

ToddG Guest
    If you definite "liar" as anyone who has ever told any kind of lie, then you need to define "idiot" as anyone who has ever done anything even remotely stupid. In which case you've got to include every human being in both categories and the OP's question is moot.

Presumably, the question was meant to convey more along the lines of, "Which is worse, someone who is an inveterate liar or someone who is terminally stupid?"

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Just curious. Did I miss something here? Was there something in the link relating to this question?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Just curious. Did I miss something here? Was there something in the link relating to this question?
    I think he's referring to someone who recently started what's considered an important job in this country

I kid, I kid.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Fast is good.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No politics.

Let's get more specific.

What's worse, a company that mis-manufactures something out of ignorance or out of deception?

For example, Second Chance Body Armor made vests there were shown to be of an inferior material, which evidently cost one officer his life and caused the wounding of several others.

Which is worse, for them to have been intentionally using inferior materials to save a buck of for them to have been so ignorant of their industry that they didn't know their materials were inferior?

What about something less critical. The Xbox and Xbox 360 both had/have a history of failures. There has always been some debate about whether Microsoft knowingly shipped bad product in order to get the toys on the shelves by Christmas, or whether they just got sold some bad hardware and didn't know it. Which is worse?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    No politics.

Let's get more specific.

What's worse, a company that mis-manufactures something out of ignorance or out of deception?

For example, Second Chance Body Armor made vests there were shown to be of an inferior material, which evidently cost one officer his life and caused the wounding of several others.

Which is worse, for them to have been intentionally using inferior materials to save a buck of for them to have been so ignorant of their industry that they didn't know their materials were inferior?

What about something less critical. The Xbox and Xbox 360 both had/have a history of failures. There has always been some debate about whether Microsoft knowingly shipped bad product in order to get the toys on the shelves by Christmas, or whether they just got sold some bad hardware and didn't know it. Which is worse?
    In that case, they both ultimately led to the same ****up so it could easily be construed as both. They're equally liable in either way. I'd rather a harsher punishment be placed on someone for deception than ignorance though becasue they KNEW BETTER and CHOSE what they did.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Fast is good.

Feedback Score
    A liar is far worse.
    An idiot doesn't often obtain a position to harm, but there are exceptions to every rule of course.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast