Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non Hollow Point Carry Load

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think there is a civilian version and a L/E version of the Federal EFMJ in 9mm, dose anyone have any test results from a short barreled 9mm like the Glock Model-26?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    You are correct Sir!
    That really is a shame. I pray that the admin pricks never have to amend those policies at the cost of one of your brother officers.

Stay safe Bro...

Feedback Score
    Stay away from the civilian version which is 105gr. It has a penetration average of about 10" in bare gel. The momentum and sectional density is so low that it behaves more like a .380 JHP than a 9mm JHP.

Go with the Federal 124gr+P EFMJ #P9CSP1

Here's an old article about it:
    http://www.ammoman.com/40_EP_DESC.htm

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any from my usual online sources.

You might also try Hornady's new 115gr FTX Critical Defense load. I think it qualifies as being a none JHP. Hornady has always made very good performing defense loads and the FTX load should be trustworthy. However, it is also quite hard to find right now with the Obama purchasing frenzy.

If you can't find any of those loads, you'll have to go with a reliable FMJ load with a semi waddcutter. Most 147gr loads have a semi waddcutter and good brands to go with are American Eagle #AE9FP, or Speer Lawman #53620. Semi waddcutters improve on the cutting/crushing of permanent cavity instead of just pushing tissue aside like round nosed 9mm FMJs do. A good way to see this effect in other things is to get a pine 2x4 and hammer a nail into it about 1-2" from the edge. The board will split. Slightly flatten the point of a nail with the hammer and do the same thing. The nail will crush and cut more of the wood as it penetrates and the 2x4 will not split. Old carpenter's trick.

Feedback Score
    Found a source for the Federal 124gr+P EFMJ:

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail....Number=FC-EFMJ

Not sure if it is in stock or not. They should have it. I can't remember if they sell to civilians or not, but you shouldn't have any problem if you fax them your LE department's letterhead and an order request.
    Last edited by Marcus L.; 02-02-09 at 22:24.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12