Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The word from Federal on XM193.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    All that I know is we have several cases of military issue M193 ball ammo (just like I used in basic in 1986 for our M16A1's) and the brass has a NATO stamp on the casing. I would assume that it is due to the fact that it is made at Lake City and therefore they are using the same brass as the M855.

The ammo shoots good and we only use it for 25M death.
    I agree, that is the most sensible explanation for the NATO stamp on XM193 brass. I don't buy the "factory reject" theory, the liability alone would seem to preclude its use. The "X" prefix is probably nothing more than an arbitrary letter/code/symbol differentiating that specific ammunition from the original M193 mil-spec ammo that was used before the M855

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stlyns View Post
    I don't buy the "factory reject" theory, the liability alone would seem to preclude its use.
    ATK sells alot of mil ammo that was not approved for mil use. The ammo that is sold is taken off the line because of often very minor things like mis-application of primer sealent. What they do sell is servicable just one of the rounds being not acceptable by the inspectors gets the whole lot pulled down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    Speaking of Federal XM193s, saw eight (8) boxes/cases of one thousand (1,000) rounds at a local shop for three hundred ninety-nine dollars ($399.00). All the other places in my neck of the woods are "dry" regarding these ammunition in 5.56mm NATO/.223 Remington. Also seems to be that way with quite a few online sellers--"Temporarily Out of Stock".
    Went back again to the same local and counted thirty (30) cases of said ammo with the "C" designation at the end of XM193. These boxes were just sitting there.

Also about two (2) dozen one thousand (1000) round count boxes of Sellier & Bellot and HSM in same said caliber in gr 55.

Shelf was also full of 9mms once again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    Went back again to the same local and counted thirty (30) cases of said ammo with the "C" designation at the end of XM193. These boxes were just sitting there.

Also about two (2) dozen one thousand (1000) round count boxes of Sellier & Bellot and HSM in same said caliber in gr 55.

Shelf was also full of 9mms once again.
    Whats the selling price of the XM193?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    Whats the selling price of the XM193?
    They were going $399 for box of 1000 rounds and $225 for box of 500 rounds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Several Cabelas stores in the midwest (Rogers, Owatonna, Rapid City, Mitchell, and La Vista particularly) all had big stacks of 1000rd bulk packs of XM193 for $399. No shortage, and all had been sitting for some time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Several Cabelas stores in the midwest (Rogers, Owatonna, Rapid City, Mitchell, and La Vista particularly) all had big stacks of 1000rd bulk packs of XM193 for $399. No shortage, and all had been sitting for some time.
    I only saw two cases left at the Rapid City Cabelas on Friday, when I went to pick up my case of xm193. There were seven there on monday when I put my case on layaway. The neat trick with cabelas was that they had a promotion where if you spent more than $150, you got $20 off. This meant that after tax, the cost was only $403.99. I had done an ammo hunt around town the day before and cabelas was actualy the cheapest(go figure).

Feedback Score
    Ive heard this argued over numerous forums and many years.

But XM193 is not the same as M193

The biggest difference being the casing is not sealed around the neck like in military ammo

Though a lot of the codes behind it are new to me, used to be just XM193 and XM193PD, now there F etc; and Federal cant or wont say what all their codes mean
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saginaw79 View Post
    Ive heard this argued over numerous forums and many years.

But XM193 is not the same as M193

The biggest difference being the casing is not sealed around the neck like in military ammo

Though a lot of the codes behind it are new to me, used to be just XM193 and XM193PD, now there F etc; and Federal cant or wont say what all their codes mean
    Huh?

SOME of the XM193 has been reported as not having complete sealant, but not all of it.

Federal has said to several people that the codes indicate packaging, and that there is NO DIFF between any of the XM193 ammos.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I ran this question past Ken Elmore. His response:

Hey, J

From what I have been told by one of the engineers at the plant—who attended the armorer class for 3 days and invited me to the factory…

XM193 is M193 that did not pass inspection—Federal feels it is PLENTY good for “civilian” ammo. I have shot plenty myself.

Bottom line—Federal did NOT load this ammo for the commercial market—it just ended up there.

What does “reject” really mean? I would not like to get hit by any.

Take Care,

K-

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast