Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The Untold Story of Gun Confiscation After Katrina

Has onyone ever seen this? Amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9...eature=channel

Feedback Score
    Hi. I'm 2005. Have we met?

Feedback Score
    Yes, many stories about this after Katrina.

A dry run for things to come.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The thing is both my cousin and myself were in the Army MP Corps.. I was in both garrison and combat units. If my Lt. gave me this order I don't think I would have followed it since it was so very wrong. Why did all these NG troops and police officers just go along with it when they knew it was wrong?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brown3345 View Post
    The thing is both my cousin and myself were in the Army MP Corps.. I was in both garrison and combat units. If my Lt. gave me this order I don't think I would have followed it since it was so very wrong. Why did all these NG troops and police officers just go along with it when they knew it was wrong?
    There are way too many people that blindly follow authority without thinking for themselves. It's actually kind of scary to meet someone who doesn't think for themselves, but instead just follows the book without exhibiting a sign of independent thought.

I had to work with a person like that. It is creepy.

That said, National Guardsmen are really stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to deciding whether to obey an order such as that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger29 View Post
    There are way too many people that blindly follow authority without thinking for themselves. It's actually kind of scary to meet someone who doesn't think for themselves, but instead just follows the book without exhibiting a sign of independent thought.

I had to work with a person like that. It is creepy.

That said, National Guardsmen are really stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to deciding whether to obey an order such as that.

No they aren't. Their mandate is clear as day. This thread has been discussed to it's death. Use the search function to find out everyone's opinions.
    Last edited by ZDL; 02-04-09 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    Check you local/state laws. Post Katria Colorado has passed a law stating no gun confiscation during emergencies.

Being put in a situation like that would present me with a terrible choice.

Feedback Score
    If Marshal Law was declared, and it was during Katrina, hence federal troops, normal law is suspended. IF the order was given, then sadly, it was a legal order if the military commander deemed it necessary. As a service member, in this situation, you have no recourse but to follow that order or have charges brought against you. If you feel it is an illegal order, you have the right to refuse and reported to a higher chain of command and JAG. In this situation, it is morally a bad decision to disarm law biding citizens, but it doesn't make it illegal. It could be a case of a subordinate commander making the decision without the overall commander's order or knowledge. More info is needed and IF, any complaints were filed, lawsuits against the US government/Military, etc...
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 02-04-09 at 08:45. Reason: spelling
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris2163 View Post
    If Marshal Law was declared, and it was during Katrina, hence federal troops, normal law is suspended. IF the order was given, then sadly, it was a legal order if the military commander deemed it necessary. As a service member, in this situation, you have no recourse but to follow that order or have charges brought against you. If you feel it is an illegal order, you have the right to refuse and reported to a higher chain of command and JAG. In this situation, it is morally a bad decision to disarm law biding citizens, but it doesn't make it illegal. It could be a case of a subordinate commander making the decision without the overall commander's order or knowledge. More info is needed and IF, any complaints were filed, lawsuits against the US government/Military, etc...
    I relatively certain Martial Law does not trump the constitution. Could be wrong but I don't think I am. There aren't any excuses for it. That's the end of the discussion really. Charges being brought against you? Better you take that than go against your oath or worse, step on the wrong hillbilly's property and have him open fire on you.

In the interest of self preservation, legality, and my personal conscious... I would choose to sit in the jail cell before I would violate the constitution.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brown3345 View Post
    ...Why did all these NG troops and police officers just go along with it when they knew it was wrong?
    It's New Orleans!! 'Nuff said.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast