Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wolf 5.56 Hollow Point Ammo

Feedback Score
    nevermind
    Last edited by Parabellum9x19mm; 02-05-09 at 03:01.
    TUEBOR

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My 1000rd Cases of Wolf 5.56 are lacquered coated and the boxes all state "Copper Bullets" so I pulled out a strong magnet and touched every bullet at the nose and none were attracted to the magnet. Now the steel cases sure grabbed the magnet if I got too close to them.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
    I posted a pretty lengthy review of the ammo over on Arfcom, along with some sectioned bullets and shots into water jugs: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=406469

My cases of Wolf 5.56 are about 10yrs old and the jackets are copper and not bi-metal and since I'M shooting lighter bullets in the 55gr to 62gr weight maybe these guys would fragment enough to safely shoot on their backstop. Did you ever have the chance to shoot the lighter bullets into water?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    My cases of Wolf 5.56 are about 10yrs old and the jackets are copper and not bi-metal and since I'M shooting lighter bullets in the 55gr to 62gr weight maybe these guys would fragment enough to safely shoot on their backstop. Did you ever have the chance to shoot the lighter bullets into water?
    No - but there was a test that brouhaha and tatjana did on Arfcom many years ago using calibrated ballistic gelatin that showed NO fragmentation: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Ballist...nts/Test2.html [ETA - the link is broken. I need to fix the content on the server when I get home tonight]

Although not included in that test, brouhaha told me that the Wolf 55gr HP didn't fragment either in his testing.

If my other review didn't mention it - the bullet jacket on the 75gr Wolf is definitely steel. Wolf switched over from copper/gilding metal to bimetal about a year and a half ago. All of the Military Classic line (Ulyanovsk) has been bimetal from the start.
    Last edited by Zhukov; 02-06-09 at 11:45. Reason: Note broken link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12