Thread: Eric Holder Confirmation..... the republicans stabbed us in the back!!!!!!!!

Feedback Score

Eric Holder Confirmation..... the republicans stabbed us in the back!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

GOA wants to thank all of you for your hard work in opposing the extremely anti-gun Eric Holder for Attorney General.

While we lost the battle on Monday (by a vote of 75-21), you guys registered your opposition loud and clear.

There is no doubt that your activism truly made gun rights THE issue in this nomination battle. Every Senator who spoke against Holder mentioned Second Amendment fears. And even among many of the Senators who voted for him, there was tremendous concern regarding Holder’s stance on gun rights.

As stated by The Washington Post yesterday, “Holder overcame concerns by a small but vocal group of GOP lawmakers about his position on national security and GUN RIGHTS, as well as his recommendations in two controversial clemency decisions by President Bill Clinton.”

This was truly a battle worth fighting. In fact, the man who was being deified two weeks ago is now the very same President who is widely seen as not being able to shoot straight in selecting cabinet members and is already starting to lose public support. The battle over Holder was certainly central to taking the bloom off this rose.

So thank you for helping magnify our voice on Capitol Hill. GOA spent many hours lobbying against Holder, as we were the only gun rights group in Washington to tell Senators we would be rating this vote in our end-of-session grade report.

With Holder in office, you can expect to see renewed efforts to drive gun dealers and manufacturers out of business -- similar to the efforts he supported while in the Clinton administration.

Expect also to see attempts to classify more guns as “not suitable” for sporting purposes. And don’t be surprised to see attempts to use the No Fly List to disqualify gun owners from exercising their Second Amendment rights. (Bureaucrats can add innocent Americans to the No Fly List -- and have done so -- without any due process of law being followed.)

With Eric Holder at the helm, the list could easily become a No Gun List, as there are already discussions in Washington about doing this.

All the above horror scenarios are policies that could conceivably occur without ANY legislation being passed in Congress. That is what makes Holder’s confirmation as Attorney General so dangerous. Through the use of Executive Orders or by prosecuting gun owners, Holder can inflict much damage upon the Second Amendment -- even apart from lending his support for legislation, such as renewing the semi-auto ban.

So what can we do now? Is the battle over Holder finished?

No, not yet. There’s one more action item that needs to be taken. There are 75 Senators who ignored your pleas to vote against Holder. They need to hear from you and know that you’re upset.

They need to be reminded again and again that voting for gun control is what cost Bill Clinton’s party the control of Congress in 1994 … and Al Gore his election in 2000 … and John Kerry the presidency in 2004.

And don’t forget, there are the 21 Senators who voted right. They need to be thanked. So please don’t file this alert until you’ve taken the action item below.

ACTION: Please use the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center to send your Senators a pre-written e-mail message. You will be prompted to input your zip code, which will then bring up the correct letter for your Senators.

The pre-written letter will differ according to whether your Senator voted in favor or against Eric Holder. (Three Senators missed the vote entirely. GOA is treating their absence as an anti-gun action.)

NOTE: GOA’s pre-written letters are usually editable by the sender. In this instance, they are not for the sake of avoiding confusion, so that Senators who voted wrong are not thanked (and vice versa).

---------------------------------------------------------------

Senators who voted for Eric Holder (an anti-gun vote):

Akaka (D-HI)

Alexander (R-TN)

Baucus (D-MT)

Bayh (D-IN)

Bennet (D-CO)

Bennett (R-UT)

Bingaman (D-NM)

Bond (R-MO)

Boxer (D-CA)

Brown (D-OH)

Burris (D-IL)

Byrd (D-WV)

Cantwell (D-WA)

Cardin (D-MD)

Carper (D-DE)

Casey (D-PA)

Chambliss (R-GA)

Collins (R-ME)

Conrad (D-ND)

Corker (R-TN)

Dodd (D-CT)

Dorgan (D-ND)

Durbin (D-IL)

Feingold (D-WI)

Feinstein (D-CA)

Gillibrand (D-NY)

Graham (R-SC)

Grassley (R-IA)

Gregg (R-NH)

Hagan (D-NC)

Harkin (D-IA)

Hatch (R-UT)

Inouye (D-HI)

Isakson (R-GA)

Johnson (D-SD)

Kaufman (D-DE)

Kerry (D-MA)

Klobuchar (D-MN)

Kohl (D-WI)

Kyl (R-AZ)

Landrieu (D-LA)

Lautenberg (D-NJ)

Leahy (D-VT)

Levin (D-MI)

Lieberman (ID-CT)

Lincoln (D-AR)

Lugar (R-IN)

McCain (R-AZ)

McCaskill (D-MO)

Menendez (D-NJ)

Merkley (D-OR)

Mikulski (D-MD)

Murkowski (R-AK)

Murray (D-WA)

Nelson (D-FL)

Nelson (D-NE)

Pryor (D-AR)

Reed (D-RI)

Reid (D-NV)

Rockefeller (D-WV)

Sanders (I-VT)

Schumer (D-NY)

Sessions (R-AL)

Shaheen (D-NH)

Snowe (R-ME)

Specter (R-PA)

Stabenow (D-MI)

Tester (D-MT)

Udall (D-CO)

Udall (D-NM)

Voinovich (R-OH)

Warner (D-VA)

Webb (D-VA)

Whitehouse (D-RI)

Wyden (D-OR)

Senators who voted Against Holder (a Pro-gun vote)

Barrasso (R-WY)

Brownback (R-KS)

Bunning (R-KY)

Burr (R-NC)

Coburn (R-OK)

Cochran (R-MS)

Cornyn (R-TX)

Crapo (R-ID)

DeMint (R-SC)

Ensign (R-NV)

Enzi (R-WY)

Hutchison (R-TX)

Inhofe (R-OK)

Johanns (R-NE)

McConnell (R-KY)

Risch (R-ID)

Roberts (R-KS)

Shelby (R-AL)

Thune (R-SD)

Vitter (R-LA)

Wicker (R-MS)

Senators NOT Voting

Begich (D-AK)

Kennedy (D-MA)

Martinez (R-FL)

Feedback Score
    A Republican party that represents conservative Americans doesn't exist anymore.
    All that's left of them is a bunch of RINOs that believe the moderate ideology is
    the best course of action.

Just wait till the voting results of the next AWB, you'll really be mad then.
    Last edited by JBnTX; 02-05-09 at 15:07.
    "We make war that we may live in peace."
    -Aristotle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
    A Republican party that represents conservative Americans doesn't exist anymore.
    All that's left of them is a bunch of RINOs that believe the moderate ideology is
    the best course of action.

Just wait till the voting results of the next AWB, you'll really be mad then.
    That is why we all need to be proactive on any anti-gun bill that is on the list of bills. Write your congressman about the blair holt act. You can check it out at http://www.govtracker.us.

Letters to your congressman and senators do matter. They will think twice about voting on issues that they know might get them voted out of office. We have let the republican party get this way. Obama was a "community activist", and they are building grassroot campaigns, so we need to fight fire with fire.

Feedback Score

Very Disappointed in Senator Kit Bond

I am from Missouri and have long supported Senator Kit Bond. That has changed as of the moment he voted to confirm Eric Holder as Attorney General.
    I don't yet know who will be running against Bond in the next election in my state...but as I wrote and told Mr. Bond...He can no longer count on my vote.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    Both of the Senators from Georgia, where I live, both voted for him. I wrote them both e-mails, and letters letting them know that they no longer will get my vote. So far, just in the small town that I live in, they have 5 letters/ e-mails letting them know that we are unhappy. If each Senator that voted for Holder got 100 letters, they would be sweating because very few people ever contact their Senator because they have the mentality of "my voice won't count". It is very surprising what you can do when you are vocal about what you beleive it.

Feedback Score

Reply From Saxby Chambliss, "Republican" Senator from GA

Dear Mr. Wall:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the nomination of Eric Holder to become Attorney General under the Obama Administration. It is good to hear from you.

President Obama nominated Mr. Holder to be the Attorney General on December 1, 2008 and he was confirmed by the Senate on February 2, 2009. I believe the President deserves great deference in filling his Cabinet. While Mr. Holder and I have differences on policy and judicial theories, I supported Mr. Holder because of his great experience and because I believe he can competently fill the role for which he has been nominated. Mr. Holder has previously been unanimously confirmed to judicial positions by the United States Senate on three separate occasions. In 1988, he was nominated by President Ronald Reagan to be associate Judge of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. In 1993, President Clinton nominated Mr. Holder to be the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, and in 1997, President Clinton nominated him to be Deputy Attorney General of the United States.

Although I continue to have concerns with some of Mr. Holder's policy views, particularly his view of the Second Amendment, after speaking with him, I am convinced he recognizes that the Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, recognizing the Second Amendment right to be an individual right, to be the law of the land.

Moreover, I believe that if any changes will be made to our country's gun policies, they will be made by Congress or the court system, and not the Department of Justice. I also had serious concerns about the role Mr. Holder played in the pardons of Marc Rich and members of the FALN group when he was at the Department of Justice. These pardons have been nearly universally condemned by the entire legal community. In his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Mr. Holder fully recognized his mistakes in those pardons and stated if he had to do it again, he would have done things differently. I believe he will take that learning experience with him into his role as Attorney General.

I have closely scrutinized Mr. Holder's nomination by reviewing his testimony from the Judiciary Committee and personally questioning him. I believe Mr. Holder is qualified for the position of Attorney General. Again, although I do not agree with a number of the positions Mr. Holder has taken in the past, I believe that Presidents, including President Obama, should be given deference in filling their Cabinet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by browningboy84 View Post
    ..... I believe that Presidents, including President Obama, should be given deference in filling their Cabinet

The above quote by a Georgia Republican senator (Chambliss) is why we will lose our 2nd amendment rights.
    Democrats would be fighting tooth and nail to stop any republican nominees.
    Republicans just bend over and take it.

Will Senator Chambliss also feel the same way about a future AWB?
    Last edited by JBnTX; 02-05-09 at 17:04.
    "We make war that we may live in peace."
    -Aristotle

Feedback Score
    I've already sent nastygrams to both of the wankers from Ohio.

Feedback Score
    Chambliss and Isakson are both weak and will not stand behind the majority of thier constituents. The sad part of it is they were by far the best choice overall. Like so many other Republicans, elected officials and voters alike, they are more for "hangin' with the in crowd" than doing what is right and standing up for us when it matters. Don't get me wrong, I am a die hard republican and I don't give a rats ass about the "in crowd" and I know that most of us here feel the same but it is a sad fact of life that this is what my Party has come to.

The only thing Chambliss did in his reply to BB84 was skirt the issue with a lot of BS. Typical Chambliss. There are a lot of expletives that I would like to insert here but I will leave with this..... Get off your knees Chambliss, the Dems are getting tired of looking at the top of your head.

If thats too much Mods, I understand and delete at will.
    Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.

George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)