Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SEMI AUTO SNIPER RIFLE ACCURACY

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

SEMI AUTO SNIPER RIFLE ACCURACY

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with a semi auto sniper rifle such as POF, SASS, or a custom ar-10. I have read several things about such rifles that state they (some) are just as accurate as bolt guns but after the first round is fired out of a semi gun the rest of the rounds tend to group together but usally about an inch lower. I've read about test in magazines and the test on the p308 from POF, and a custom GA ar10 grouped all shots about a .50 group(give or take) but i read two seperate articles on the SASS and each time the guns groups were tight but the first shot was a little higher and the author staed this is normal for a semi auto sniper gun. Just wondering whats the deal? For most LE, we only get one shot and I dont want mine (got a p308 on order) to be an inch or so high.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Semi-auto group variance

A properly-built semi-automatic rifle puts all its bullets into a group -- no flyers, no "If I do my part," no bullshit.

Semi groups tend to be bigger than those from a bolt gun due to a whole lot more moving parts and vibration -- shooter follow-through is critical.

Semi-auto rifles tend to have longer lock time (using a pivoting hammer) as opposed to striker-fired bolt actions.
    Last edited by sinister; 02-06-09 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In my experience, no semi auto can compete with a purpose built bolt action precision weapon. That said however, the vast majority of purpose built semi auto precision weapons will outshoot the vast majority of shooters out there. I personally prefer semi because 1 im not doing it for a living anymore, and 2 its a damn sight more fun for me.

YMMV
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    I owned a GAP10 and a GAP Rock, the semi shot 1/4MOA @ 100 all day long. I never took it out past 100 though.

The Rock shot 1/3MOA out to 600yards all day long.

Both with Fed 175gr Match.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For those that read over at the Hide, Lowlight had a really good thread going on the differences between shooting bolt gun and a gas gun. There were some good tips in it. One of the subjects touched on were the 3 recoil impluses with a gas gun as opposed to a single impluse with a bolt; and difference in recoil impluses between the last shot / bolt hold open with a gas gun. Another subtle issue is the placement of the trigger finger and what that really requires with respect to the PG on an AR style rifle. If you have average hands (like mine) you really won't be gripping the PG per say in order to get proper placement with the trigger finger. Anyway - it's worth the read.

I like the thought of AR style .308's - a square receiver, a good tube, and a good load - it should be very, very accurate.

LL has a POF - he seems to give it good marks. You might want to check in with him.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    I have had a serious bug for .308 gas guns over the last few years. After screwing around with a stock Armalite i broke down and bought a used GAP AR10 and have been playing around with it. It is VERY accurate,like mentioned above you have to get used to firing them. Due to being over here i have not had the trigger time on it that i need to stay proficient on the platform. I plan to remedy that one of these days.

They recoil differently and with all the shit going on inside the rifle itself i have found that i must grip the rifle and pull it into the shoulder much tighter than i do with a bolt-gun. Most of our long gunners over here who grew up on bolt-guns have the same issues when moving over to the SR's as well.

The guns are very mechanically accurate,but it takes more from the shooters end to ensure hits downrange. JMHO.

Feedback Score

M-110 Sniper Rifle

Here is a youtube clip from Future Weapons on the History Channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3qQB4b4Pgo

Not that it will totally replace bolt action sniper rifles but I am rather intrigued.
    Last edited by CryingWolf; 02-09-09 at 19:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personal experience with both KAC and Armalite rifles is that they easily hold under MOA, even out to distance. I will agree that a properly built gun will not have any POI shift during shoot a group.

I used to have a bolt gun made by Jerry Rice of NorCal Precision, the gun was laser and shot .25MOA easily. While I love gas guns, I have yet to find one that will do that, of course I am not shooting as much as I used to, so some of the rifles I've shot at work likley could have printed tighter, but they did easily under 1MOA.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't think you are going to find a semi-auto that is more accurate than a bolt gun but the SA is not going to be far behind.

I have a DPMS LR-308 and enjoy shooting it more than a bolt gun.

A 100 yard 5-shot group on a bipod, no mods to gun:

A 200 yard 3-shot group on a bipod, no mods to gun:

I upgraded the trigger (factory trigger is awful), stock, and grip since these targets and am thinking that it should help quite a bit. Now for the snow to melt so I can go try it out......
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Show and tell time?

My first group with the GAP AR-10 pictured below.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast