Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&Ps in IDPA last night

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I actually rip the mag away when I do a reload on the Glock. I'm a lefty, but here is the process: press mag release with trigger finger, right hand slides down and grasps base of mag, mag is ripped out and dropped on the floor, right hand continues downward movement to mag pouch to complete reload.

Good news is that the mag gets out of there everytime BEFORE the new mag gets to the weapon; no stripping a mag out with a full one in your hand. Bad news is that it's just a little slower.

I had a G23 that would either fail to lock back sometimes, or would release the slide when I put a mag in too vigorously. It always grabbed a round, but I never trusted that it would every time. So, I enlarged the slide stop notch in the slide and gave it a slight rearward angle so that it made a very shallow hook. This solved the problem. Haven't had to do it on any of my 9mm Glocks.

Feedback Score
    I was in a hurry last time I posted so let me clarify. The problem I was having was this: when the slide would go forward and strip a round off the top of the magazine, the secind roud down would also come forward enough so that it would get caught if you tried to drop the magazine.

I was trying to figure out what was happening, but I didn't stop to analyze what was going on. After shooting a couple local matches where this happened, I decided the next time it happened, I wouldn't grip and rip it. So when it did, I just stopped and took all the time in the world to examine what was happening and that's how I figured out what the deal was. An empty magazine would eject fine. A loaded magazine would eject fine as long as you hadn't started shooting.
    "When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." -Chief Tecumseh

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Mine 9mm will drop partially loaded mags. I haven't tried that yet with the .40, only 9mm.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Mine was a 40.
    "When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." -Chief Tecumseh

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    GotM4 - What sights are you running on your M&Ps?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc
    GotM4 - What sights are you running on your M&Ps?

Speed Shooter Specialties .125" wide fiber optic front and a Dan Burwell rear sight. I'm waiting for my .100" front which should be ready soon. It should be a tiny bit faster.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Another thing that makes a big difference (range only/match gun) is a 13lb Glock 17 Wolff recoil spring and Wolff Glock 17 recoil rod. Using Remington 147gr JHP subsonic makes it kick like a .22LR Ruger 22/45 with CCI Velocitor or Stinger ammo.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4
    Speed Shooter Specialties .125" wide fiber optic front and a Dan Burwell rear sight. I'm waiting for my .100" front which should be ready soon. It should be a tiny bit faster.
    When they all become available I'm going to try Warren Tactical, 10-8, Heinie and the final Burwells sights. I have a few of the early Burwell rears which don't completely cover the firing pin safety. I like them a lot and recommend them for competition, it's like a cross between a 10-8 and Heinie. For my use I would like the notch to be a tiny bit wider (like a race cut Heinie for a Glock or Warren rear) and I would prefer the bottom of the notch to be rounded like a 10-8 or Warren.

Using a wider rear and more narrow front you do give up a little accuracy for speed but for USPSA/IDPA that's fine because you aren't shooting for MOA you're shooting for minute of 'A zone' or minute of '-0'. This doesn't mean that they're inaccurate, quite the contrary. I can hit a standard pepper popper at 100yds and a little further 9 times out of 10 using a Glock 17/34 with Dawson .105" fiber front sight and a Warren rear sight.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xpd54
    I was in a hurry last time I posted so let me clarify. The problem I was having was this: when the slide would go forward and strip a round off the top of the magazine, the secind roud down would also come forward enough so that it would get caught if you tried to drop the magazine.

I was trying to figure out what was happening, but I didn't stop to analyze what was going on. After shooting a couple local matches where this happened, I decided the next time it happened, I wouldn't grip and rip it. So when it did, I just stopped and took all the time in the world to examine what was happening and that's how I figured out what the deal was. An empty magazine would eject fine. A loaded magazine would eject fine as long as you hadn't started shooting.
    If this is a new mag and the spring is strong you may have this because of the strong upward pressure on the rounds so when the one is stripped, it drags the other a little. If it only happens on the first round manually loaded-insure you work the slide smartly.

I forget you sells them, but I used to have the brass base plates for Glock mags-helps them out-that's out to the deck
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the delayed response....

Quote Originally Posted by M4arc
    Not to get off topic here but does the M&P slide slam home if you slap a mag in it like the Glocks?
    Nope, not on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by xpd54
    I had an M&P earlier this year that I was using for IPSC stuff and had problems with partially depleted magazines getting hung up and not dropping free. You guys having similiar problems?
    Luckily no. That would really slow down a Tac Reload. Like GotM4, I'm running the 9mm version and I've not had the opportunity to see if the 40 will behave otherwise.

I ordered mine direct from S&W and simply specified what I needed on it and that was no mag disco, factory night sights, ambi slide release assembly (Rev A) and in 9mm.

And luckily enough, I've had no problems with it. The stock springs work well for me, running 147gr TMJs from Atlanta Arms. I'm waiting to try out the new Templar Ridge 9mms reloads next.

I've had some Burwell magic on the trigger and the only thing I am looking forward to is the Warren Tactical set-up with a FO front. I've also requested several dozen of his Warren Tacticals in a dot-on-dot config a la Heinie.

Psyched to see there's a number of M&P owners here
    Last edited by ISHOT; 12-09-06 at 22:49.
    Helmie Ashiblie V.P./Founder)
    S.E.R.T System (www.sertsystem.com)
    i-SHOT Shooting Sports (www.ishot-inc.com)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast