Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plate Carrier: With or Without Cummerbund?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Plate Carrier: With or Without Cummerbund?

I am looking to buy an Eagle Plate Carrier to leave in my cruiser, in case of active shooter, etc. It looks like without the cummerbund it allows quicker access, but I also want something I can in use in a Pat Rogers class, etc. I believe you will fight as you train, so I don't want change my setup after the class, to work the street. Also any input on what I would need vs unnecessary pouches, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Feedback Score
    Jim, if you're currently using covert armor, the Eagle PC is a perfect add-on. A lot of guys I know operate that way and we see a good number of guys doing EP & PSD running covert as the basic set-up and then bundle it with the plate carrier for overt (PSD).

I have the Eagle and think the world of it.
    Helmie Ashiblie V.P./Founder)
    S.E.R.T System (www.sertsystem.com)
    i-SHOT Shooting Sports (www.ishot-inc.com)

Feedback Score
    Go ahead and get it with the cummerbund. If you don't like the cummerbund, it is removable.

To put it on quickly with the cummerbund, go ahead and buckle your weakside and attach the weakside panel to the front. Leave the strong side undone. Then put it on (head and weakside arm), and you just have the strong side to attach. By doing it this way, you have some protection and stabilty (if you're having to run) until you get the strong side attached.

One thing I have found with the cummerbund on is that it can disengage the shroud on my Safariland 6280.

As for recommended pouches: I run rifle ammo (5 AR15 mags), a blow out kit (marked as such), and a small handheld (Surefire G2 on mine). I think it takes up a total of 11 PALS channels, or the whole bottom front, minus the cummerbund.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ...+1

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    For uniform patrol go WITHOUT the cumberbun. The cumberbun can be a pain to don at times, can take longer to don, depending on your body size and shape the cumberbun can interfer with your draw stroke (pistol) and may interfer with access to other items on your Sam Brown belt (ie. radio, peper spray, hand cuffs, baton, etc).

I have used both. For active shooter, patrol first responder, etc. the cumberbun is more of a liability than an assett.

I went from a non-cumberbun to a cumberbun, but I use my plate carrier for SWAT duties and the non-cumberbun model didn't afford me the real estate I needed for mission essencial gear (ie. I put my radio, pistol mag pouches, carbine mag pouches, med kit, flash bangs, water, etc, etc, etc. on the plate carrier).

A first responder either won't carry many of these items (flash bangs, etc) or have the gear on his Sam Brown belt (ie. pepper spray, taser, radio, pistol mag pouches, etc). A first responder is generally only going to have water, med kit, rifle mags, and possibly a misc pouch on his plate carrier. Thus doesn't need the real estate that the cumberbun affords, plus once you start putting things on the cumberbun it restricts access to gear on your Sam Brown belt.

Just my experiences, your milage may vary.

Take care and stay safe,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    USMC03 is ABSOLUTELY correct--for patrol use and fast donning in emergencies/active shooter incidents over other gear you want NO cummerbund. For SWAT use, the cummerbund may be of benefit if you are not running a CIRAS/RAV set-up.

Feedback Score
    For patrol, I have a HSGI Woosatch plate carrier that sits on the passenger floorbard of my cruiser. It kinda offers the best of both worlds. It doesn't have a cumberbund, but I think it has more real estate for pouches that a regular plate carrier.

For SWAT, I have a TAG Plate Carrier which has their version of a CB. It's a pain in the ass to get into when you got all you stuff already in the pouches.
    "When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." -Chief Tecumseh

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Jeff's comments are right on.
    While the cummerbund allows for more real estate, it definitely would slow deployment, and could interfere with the duty belt.

The PC for patrol would be used for active shooter and other impromptu high-risk situations where rifle plates would be a good idea. Since you have soft armor on already, an appropriate set of ICW plates, a couple (3, 4...) rifle mags, a med pouch, and some "POLICE" patches would pretty much do it for the basics.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'll go with the PC without the cummerbund. I think I'll have plenty of room for mag pouches, etc. even during classes. Thanks again, Jim

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why not just buy the plate carrier with cummerbund? Like several have already pointed out in this thread - it is removable. That way you can go back & forth until you make up your mind.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast