Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is a 4 inch barrel too long for the 135+P Gold Dot .38

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A few years ago, I was told by someone from ATK that this load is not meant for revolvers with barrels longer than 2-inches. He said that based on his conversations with the individual who developed this load, this ammo was engineered so that it's optimum terminal performance occurs at the MVs delivered by barrels of 2-inches or less.

While this sounds like a whole lot of BS, I understand that most rounds do have an optimum range of performance. All other factors being equal, there is a minimum and a maximum velocity in which each projectile design can be expected to perform its best. Going below or above this range can result in less than optimal terminal performance. FWIW.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    Carlos,

I would agree with you on this...

This load was engineered to be optimal in 'snubbies' (1 7/8 inch barrels), and that would make this load 'less than optimal' in longer barrel lengths. The load would tend to get less and less 'optimal' as barrel length increases (as we move further and further from 1 7/8 inches)...

-Ron.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123