Thread: YHM Handguards

Feedback Score

YHM Handguards

I'm new to the site and wondering if you anyone has had any experience with YHM's diamond series free float handguards.

I'm thinking about instaling a rifle length set on my 16" AR. I'm only 16 so can't afford DD or larue.

Any oppinions on them?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy93 View Post
    I'm new to the site and wondering if you anyone has had any experience with YHM's diamond series free float handguards.

I'm thinking about instaling a rifle length set on my 16" AR. I'm only 16 so can't afford DD or larue.

Any oppinions on them?
    YHM isnt a cool-kid brand but their stuff works well enough at the expense of refinement.

Enjoy
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    what do you need a rail for, specifically? you can mount quite a few things (light, VFG, etc) to plastic HG's.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    what do you need a rail for, specifically? you can mount quite a few things (light, VFG, etc) to plastic HG's.

I was just planing on putting a light and vertical grip on it, plus my gun doesn't have a Front sight base and I would like to have the ability to use open sights on it.
    Last edited by Puffy93; 02-17-09 at 19:44. Reason: Corrections

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy93 View Post

Any oppinions on them?
    I have a personal story to share with you, maybe this will help.
    When I was 16, I started off with a plain Bushmaster M4A3 14.5 perm mini Y-Comp.

My first "upgrade" was to replace the handguards so I could have a vertical grip.
    My choice was the Samco M33 plastic railed handguards.
    Next, I upgraded to an MI #17 carbine handguard set.
    Finally, this past year I purchased a LaRue 9.0 and dealt with the hassle of having the flash hider removed and a new one put back on.

My point is that you will likely change out your handguards multiple times. In my case, if I would have had the patience to get what I originally wanted (in this instance, a LaRue 9.0) I could have saved a bunch of money. Yes, the Samco M33 and M.I. #17 worked well and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. But, they weren't what I really, truly wanted. If the DD or LaRue is what you want, then wait and save up for them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the stock set of handguards. If you're dying to add a light, you can use a drill and a small piece of rail to add a pistol style weapon light.
    Personally, I would say wait and save up for what you really want.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    I just put a lightweight midlength YHM free float rail on my AR. Excellent weighting (mostly toward the receiver and much better than the Surefire M85 I had) and light. My only complaint is the phosphate-coated jam nut is very easy to scratch.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    this is one of rob's AR's that was posted in another thread. the light mount is very simple and the same can be done for the VFG. in the meantime, save your money for what you really want, and you may find that what you "really want" might change soon.

"you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"