Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&Ps in IDPA last night

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Talking M&Ps in IDPA last night

Congrats to Helmie of I-Shot!

Last night he won the IDPA match at Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge VA shooting an M&P. I placed 2nd in the match and I also used a M&P. I almost didn't shoot mine since I had been messing with the sights yesterday. I went early and shot it out to 15yds but brought along my G17 incase the M&P wasn't hitting well. The more and more I shoot the M&P the better it's feeling. As I've told people, I have 2.5K rounds through it so far and it's seems as natural as shooting my SA 1911 or STI 2011.

Scores are here.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Great job!

Feedback Score
    Thanks, brother. Chalk 2 up for the M&P

On the flip side, I am pissed off at my new bad behavior of sending the slide home before the mag is properly sitted. I had that happen on stage 1 & 4. This is a very bad habit to pick up.

Back to the basics for me for the next few weeks
    Helmie Ashiblie V.P./Founder)
    S.E.R.T System (www.sertsystem.com)
    i-SHOT Shooting Sports (www.ishot-inc.com)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ISHOT
    Thanks, brother. Chalk 2 up for the M&P

On the flip side, I am pissed off at my new bad behavior of sending the slide home before the mag is properly sitted. I had that happen on stage 1 & 4. This is a very bad habit to pick up.

Back to the basics for me for the next few weeks
    I did the exact same thing last night twice 1st and 3rd stage.. I slammed a reload into the magwell and sent the slide home on the 1st stage but it didn't scoop up a round so it went 'click' and then I slap, racked and fired. The 2nd time was on the 3rd stage and I didn't trust it after it went home so I racked it again and a loaded round did pop out that time. I think the only way to avoid it is to seat the magazine softer or somehow make the slide catch engage the slide more or increase its spring tension.

BTW I saw the SERT Cordora bag there last night too. I like those a lot and the color is awesome.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Awesome job!

What sights are you running on it now?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Not to get off topic here but does the M&P slide slam home if you slap a mag in it like the Glocks?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc
    Not to get off topic here but does the M&P slide slam home if you slap a mag in it like the Glocks?
    Yes but if not timed right it doesn't pick up the round.

Feedback Score
    I had an M&P earlier this year that I was using for IPSC stuff and had problems with partially depleted magazines getting hung up and not dropping free. You guys having similiar problems?
    "When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." -Chief Tecumseh

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xpd54
    I had an M&P earlier this year that I was using for IPSC stuff and had problems with partially depleted magazines getting hung up and not dropping free. You guys having similiar problems?
    I want to hear from GotM4 but I thought I'd add that the M&Ps I fondled at the gun shop, that had the mag safety, would not drop an empty mag. The two without the mag safety did drop them. Has anyone noticed this to be the case?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    One of the things I love about the M&P and that the mags LAUNCH out of it when doing a mag change (with no mag safety). For me Glocks drop mags more slowly (especially if I use Pro-Grip or the mags have dust on them), so slowing that I usually am canting the gun and the first mag has just barely made it out.

Here's a pic of me shooting my old G34 at Area 8 this summer to show what I mean.

Back to the M&P:

It's most likely the mag safety holding the mags keeping them from coming out. I've replaced the the sear housing in my M&P9 (my IDPA and USPSA one) with a sear housing that doesn't have the mag safety but does have the internal takedown lever. I despise the mag safety so I've removed it completely from all four of my M&Ps.

You can remove it 2 ways:

Easy, no cost method----remove both levers, spring and pin and just leave them out.

Harder, $30 way----replace sear housing that only has takedown lever in it. Brownells has them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast