Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collected links to Doctor Roberts' recent ammo reviews

Feedback Score

Collected links to Doctor Roberts' recent ammo reviews

Since I'm borderline OCD, I asked the good Doctor if I could re-host his recent ammunition reviews. In doing so, I also cleaned them up a little to make them "prettier". I'll keep the list updated as he's publishing data...

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De...ctor%20Roberts

Feedback Score
    nice job thanks. Finally and easy way to get all the pics and info into one place so I can save it to my computer.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That’s outstanding! Thanks

Feedback Score
    Very nice, Zhukov.

One thing I would really like to have included in the recommended duty loads are loads that failed Doc's testing. A lot of times we make the assumption that loads there are not included in the listed failed testing, when they simply may have not been tested.

Feedback Score
    Z
    great job. thank you

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus L. View Post
    Very nice, Zhukov.

One thing I would really like to have included in the recommended duty loads are loads that failed Doc's testing. A lot of times we make the assumption that loads there are not included in the listed failed testing, when they simply may have not been tested.
    Well, that list is going to be tough to keep up-to-date. I think it makes more sense to keep a list of approved bullets and not side-track readers. There are quite a few times when someone will post "What about such-and-such a bullet?" and I just tell them "Read the list - if it's not on there, then don't use it."

Speaking of which - some people just seem to have an emotional attachment to certain bullets. The HydraShok is one of them. There are a ton of people who just absolutely swear by them, and telling them otherwise - you think you just insulted their mother!

Feedback Score
    Zhukov,

Have you ever been a member of NBT?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus L. View Post
    Zhukov,

Have you ever been a member of NBT?
    Probably not, since I don't know what NBT is.

Feedback Score
    Zhukov,

PM me about #1 Buckshot supposedly being the #1 choice...

I have another view...

-Ron.
    Last edited by Glock17JHP; 02-20-09 at 13:32.

Feedback Score
    Posted originally on another forum on 02Mar2006:
    "Technology will not likely allow anything smaller that #1 Buckshot to be good for self defense in the short term in scenarios that are not perfect: shots from angles other than direct frontal, intermediate barriers, etc. Last I knew, even #1 Buckshot is marginal in cases where the shot must be taken in a 'less than ideal' way. If Duncan MacPherson's suggestions in the WBR are taken seriously by the manufacturers (shotcup designs, hardened shot, buffering), then #1 Buckshot could be the best choice. So far as I am presently aware, there is not yet an offering in #1 Buckshot that matches these recommendations...
    I still would recommend (and currently employ) 00 Buck in a 12-pellet load near 1,000 FPS (Winchester XX Supreme). "

The original WBR articles dealing with #1 Buckshot need to be taken within their entire context. If they are, #1 Buckshot is not the best choice, but could be if the shot was truly hardened, like Ranger Buckshot is. Shawn Dodson should update his website to reflect this because this misconception keeps being repeated. I emailed him about this specific thing a few years ago. 00 Buckshot is the best choice, not #1 Buckshot.
    Last edited by Glock17JHP; 02-21-09 at 10:42.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast