Thread: Illinois House committee recommends concealed weapon law

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Illinois House committee recommends concealed weapon law

Great news for those outstate but I assume that this will allow home-rule if it ever does pass.

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/200...1338821942.txt

SPRINGFIELD | A state House panel is recommending that the General Assembly give Illinois residents the right to carry concealed weapons.

The proposals are expected to garner opposition from Chicago-area lawmakers, who have expressed concern about increased gun violence

Supporters of a concealed weapon law say the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling last summer overturning a handgun ban in Washington D.C., and an endorsement of concealed carry by the Illinois Sheriffs' Association gives a boost to their efforts.

House Bill 245, sponsored by Marion Democratic Rep. John Bradley, would allow the Illinois State Police to issue the permits. It was endorsed Wednesday on an 11-1 vote, with Democratic state Rep. Julie Hamos of Evanston the lone opponent.

House Bill 462, sponsored by state Harrisburg Rep. Brandon Phelps, would allow county sheriffs to issue permits.
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last sentence: allow or require?

Or are they already a "may issue" state and are trying to move to a "shall issue" one?
    The Revolution will not be televised.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilson View Post
    Last sentence: allow or require?

Or are they already a "may issue" state and are trying to move to a "shall issue" one?
    There is currently no CCW permit available in IL. It will be earth shattering if this passes. As I stated earlier I bet they will have to have a home-rule provision that will allow Mayor Daley to keep his citizens un-armed. If this passes it would leave only WI with no permit option.

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    As a lifetime resident of Illinois and a police officer in Illinois I can say: This will never happen. Daley and the A-Holes from Chicago will never allow it and make no mistake, they control the state. There are EXTREMELY limited provisions for concealed carry in this state, none of which provide citizens in general with their RIGHT-except for Chicago alderman which had themselves classified as "conservators of the peace" and can carry within city limits.

Feedback Score
    Here's some background:
    www.wikipedia.com

Type in: Concealed carry in the United States ( Case sensitive).

Check out the animated map. Wik's not perfect , but it has some quality control
    standards that help to sort out error-net drivel.

Here's another page-- Type in: Castle doctrine in the United States ( Case sensitive).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I lived in Illinois for 20 years and I remember this coming up many times in the 90's and getting squashed. The endorsement from the Sherriff's association is HUGE.

The folks in Illinois need to keep the pressure on. If there is anything I can do from out here let me know.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
    As a lifetime resident of Illinois and a police officer in Illinois I can say: This will never happen. Daley and the A-Holes from Chicago will never allow it and make no mistake, they control the state. There are EXTREMELY limited provisions for concealed carry in this state, none of which provide citizens in general with their RIGHT-except for Chicago alderman which had themselves classified as "conservators of the peace" and can carry within city limits.
    Im in Illinois as well and Im glad to see that an LEO is indorsing this. I dont feel the need to carry, but I think the right to carry should be passed. I see absolutely no problem with this.
    I would love to see a seperation of Chicago from the rest of the state of Illinois. Didnt New York do something like this???
    Chicago does the rest of our state no justice what so ever.

Feedback Score
    Most police officers have a lot of common sense...many of them I know support the RIGHT to carry. Unfortunately it seems that as soon as they get above the rank of Sgt most turn political, hence the reason my chief has included our dept in the list of police departments in Il that oppose CCW and support the renewal of the dark ages.
    There are however officers I work with that really have no idea whats going on and forget that just 5 years ago the chief wouldn't sign a letter allowing them to buy a spare magazine for their glock. We were talking in roll call about the possibility of an outright ban on mag capacity, etc. I asked "Just who do they think is going to go knock on doors and take people's guns?" The ranking supervisor said "If your ordered to do it your just going to do it."..